Thread: Status of Child Born in NZ

Question Status of Child Born in NZ

Can someone refer me some rules on immigration / citizenship status of new born baby in New Zealand if parent are skilled migrant to NZ. Would new born baby be considered NZ National? Is baby status determined in accordance to the status of parents?

A baby born in NZ to parents with Residence is a NZ citizen as of right.

http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.ns...n?OpenDocument

Hey JandM, I heard that it is like you are saying but if you look at the info on the link that you posted it says that if the baby was born in NZ and one of the parents is a citizen (doesn't say anything about being a resident). Any ideas why? I have a friend that is a resident only and had his kid here and was granted citizenship for the kid but I didn't see that rule anywhere

Hi, if you read it again
    Born in New Zealand, the Cook Islands, Niue, Tokelau, or the Ross Dependency on or after 1 January 2006; and at least one of your parents was a New Zealand citizen or entitled to be in New Zealand indefinitely at the time of your birth.

It states or entitled to be in New Zealand indefinitely at the time of your birth. Indefinitely would mean you have residence. Hope this helps

Exactly. A lot is in the detail of all the paragraphs in these various official rules.

I had a child 4 yrs ago now, we came over on skilled migrant category & she has a NZ passport, felt weird, still does, but she is a Kiwi!

@Georgebulldog: what were your status when you were blessed with baby..was any one of you had PR at that time..

im expecting a baby soon and trying to understand this too, what was the conclusion?
    i have baby brain so its still not making sense. we both have resident visas and our dd who was born in england

nevermind found the freephone for citizenship ppl, as we have PR bubs is citizen and doesnt have to faf getting british passport can have NZ one yey!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    @Georgebulldog: what were your status when you were blessed with baby..was any one of you had PR at that time..
    Yes we all had PR through my husband getting a skilled migrant job HTH