Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursing in New Zealand

Default Nursing in New Zealand

I'm on the hunt for a job in Mental Health nursing. No particular area in mind, it all looks amazing!
    Opinions wanted though.....many friends are advising me to just take any reasonably acceptable job.....then look for another job once I get there...
    Anyone any thoughts on the matter? How easy to do? I feel a little uncomfortable, morally, doing this....but then I may take a job to get there and end up loving the job!
    Thoughts please ( I guess the question could apply to other sectors too)? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rmn58 View Post
    I'm on the hunt for a job in Mental Health nursing. No particular area in mind, it all looks amazing!
    Opinions wanted though.....many friends are advising me to just take any reasonably acceptable job.....then look for another job once I get there...
    Anyone any thoughts on the matter? How easy to do? I feel a little uncomfortable, morally, doing this....but then I may take a job to get there and end up loving the job!
    Thoughts please ( I guess the question could apply to other sectors too)? Thanks
    You should be able to find a suitable job in most areas of the country, so what area are you thinking about moving to if you have a choice?

Those in that area may be able to offer some advice then.

Also what area of Mental Health are you looking for e.g. Forensic etc?

Ian

Well that is really an individual choice. I am not sure on how many vacancies for mental health nurses are out there as I work in ED nursing. What do you mean by 'any job' and then may be find another job?
    I accepted a postion at the nearest hospital to my husband's job, and although there were some teething issues I am generally enjoying it. Don't pay so much attention to pay as it does not really differ where abouts in the country you work.
    Good luck.

Thanks. Sorry...I suppose I mean, not a job I would choose to go for normally.....in an area or hours, that I wouldn't normally choose. I don't have a lot of time on my side....lol

Go for it , Clare did , senior nurse down to staff and now back up again.

Thanks, I'm thinking just that!!!!!! If I wait for the perfect job in the perfect area at the perfect time etc etc I could be waiting for ever!!!! Thanks....guess I just needed a little encouragement

Thanks, I'm thinking just that!!!!!! If I wait for the perfect job in the perfect area at the perfect time etc etc I could be waiting for ever!!!! Thanks....guess I just needed a little encouragement

I agree, go for it, was is the worst that happens? you may have to find another postion. The always need nurses!

Thanks, think I just needed a bit of a push! I've now emailed agency and said I want to apply! Fingers crossed Poor woman at agency will be demented with me!

We started off with our preferred area around Tauranga as we thought that is where the jobs might be for us, but it would seem not. Doing daily searches it now seems Auckland/Hamilton are the most likely areas. So with time against us too, we have decided that as long as we get ourselves out there, if it happens to be in the south of the South Island we will go. After all you may not like it and decide to move or you may just fall in love with the job and the area - and as you say all NZ is beautiful - and live there happily ever after.

Fingers crossed for you with the job hunt.

A lot of nurses on here, me included, have contacted the DHB`s directly. Removing the need for a third party and saving money in the process.
    Just have a look on their individual websites for lists of current vacancies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast