Thread: A need for a lawyer.

Default A need for a lawyer.

Good Afternoon,

Well this a stange question, my father posed to me.

Have I got a lawyer for my journey through immigration ?

So to that end it has made me worry slightly, and I pose this question to everyone, do I or should I have a lawyer?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Luke.

No, we did it ourselves and it was fine.

You do not need a lawyer to emmigrate to New Zealand and for all my years on this forum I cannot remember one person having a lawyer to help them with this process. Some have immigration advisers which again is not needed as it can be done on its own. Perhaps this is what your father meant? If that is what he meant then the majority come over without agents. We had an agent but that was because we had a very difficult case.The only time that you may need a lawyer is if there is a custody claim with children if you had split from your wife/husband/partner and you wanted to bring your children over then the other party may bring in a lawyer to stop you doing this and you would be advised to do the same or if you are bringing a business over and legal advice is needed etc but the actual process does not need a lawyer

You only need a lawyer after it went wrong for immigrating to NZ. Perhaps your father wanted to refer to an immigration adviser; see INZ web site for details re registration etc. The majority of us did it without them; but this depends on the specific personal situation.

We had the same question from a relative that moved to the US for work. The company lawyer did a lot of work for them with the green card process. As others have said, the system here in NZ is much different and can be done on your own.

And if you do have questions, I have found the INZ staff incredibly helpful when I have had to call them.

Thanks for all the replys, I was under the same understanding that I could go through the process with no advisor, as I have done so far. I think like the last post, my father had known someone from South Africa moving to the UK that needed a lawyer.

Thanks Again,

Luke.