Thread: Newly qualified UK nurses in New Zealand

Default Newly qualified UK nurses in New Zealand

Hey,

I am due to qualify as a nurse (adult branch) September 2013. My fiance is a fully qualified fitness instructor. We are due to marry next year and then we are both really keen to go work in New Zealand. However, I was wondering if there is any realistic chance of me, as a new graduate, being offered a nursing post in New Zealand or would I need to stay in the UK and gain experience first?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Darla

Hello and welcome.

I landed a job here just after I qualified (2008), although we didn't actually arrive until August 2009.
    We came over here and I was offered the chance to go on the Year long New Grad Programme.
    Not sure if that's still possible now as I think now the rules may have changed and you have to have 3 years experience.
    See this link:
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/templ...=Guest&level=1

Hi,
    You might want to check with the DHB of your choice. I work on a ward where there are new graduates doing the year programme. They are only given a year contact and then have to hope a post becomes available. I know that some nurses who graduated last year were unsuccessful in finding a job. Each DHB have limited posts available each year. I would ring the hr department. Good luck.

My wife is about the enter the new grad program here as she is graduating from a NZ university. Competition is extremely tight for NZ educated nurses to get into this program now and they have just gone to a national centralised intake for the new grad program so you no longer apply to individual DHBs. I had a look at the online application forms my wife is working on and you have to have the right to work in NZ already established (ie already be a citizen or resident) to even apply. She had to scan and upload copies of her residency visa to prove this fact.

I am working in a busy ED in NZ and currently precepting an end of 3rd yr student nurse. She is applying for the NET-P (1 yr post grad) program at 4 different DHB's and is really worried about not getting a job as there are so many more applicants than positions apparently.
    I would maybe try and get some experience even if it is 1-2 years.
    Good luck.

Try Gisborne Hospital. Great place to live with fab beaches, great weather and friendly locals.

Good luck!

Hi Darla,

As of March 1, the requirements for registration of foreign trained nurses are changing. You will now have to have 2 years experience with at least 2500 clocked hours as an RN to qualify. Here's the link to the New Zealand Nursing Council. http://www.nursingcouncil.org.nz/ind...l-Registration