Thread: Is this mould dangerous? (picture)

Question Is this mould dangerous? (picture)

Hello all,

Three months ago, we had a rainwater intrusion problem in the unit we are renting. The owner hasn't done anything about the carpet yet as he is apparently still following the matter up with the insurance company.

I am not that knowledgable about mould and I am wondering if this amount of mould could be dangerous. The following is a picture from under the carpet which is mouldy

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...ackjohn2/c.jpg

Thank you in advance.

Black mold can be very dangerous if it's air borne but it depends on the individual - some life threatening and to most, not a great concern. Going by your photo it looks like considerable amount of water has entered, at least enough to cause enough mold growth. To get a response from your landlord could take weeks and he/she would have to have a very good insurance policy that would cover damage from the rain (as the insurance company would view it as a lack of maintenance on the house which caused the problem).

If I was living in this house, I would send an abatement team to handle this carpet situation. There are approved chemicals that can be used against the mold. In severe cases, the hot air dryers are used to evaporate all the water out before any treatment can be done. The carpet underlay is just like a sponge and is not as simple as letting the air to evaporate all the water out. However on such a costly remedial job, would the landlord be willing to pay for the bill?

Contact the department of building and housing for advice. Landlords are supposed to deal with issues within a reasonable amount of time.....3 months is not reasonable.

This should help you....

http://www.dbh.govt.nz/tenants-repairs