Thread: Can NZ Permanent Residence be transferred to different passport from different country?

Question Can NZ Permanent Residence be transferred to different passport from different country?

Hi,

One of my friend is Indonesian citizen.
    She is applying NZ PR and the process is still on-going.
    After her NZ Permanent Residence visa is approved and put in her Indonesian passport, she plans to apply for German citizenship, since she is eligible for that.
    The point is that Indonesia doesn't allow dual citizenship and therefore she must release her Indonesian nationality.

The questions she has:

1. Can her NZ Permanent Residence visa be transferred from her Indonesia passport to her new German passport?
    2. After she gets her NZ Permanent Residence visa, how long can she be outside NZ without losing her NZ Permanent Residence? Can she stay outside NZ for e.g. 10 years without losing her NZ Permanent Residence?

Thanks.

For such a specific question I would really ask INZ.
    But- she should be aware that Germany is not fond of dual citizenship, either. You have to apply to keep you German citizenship before you take up the NZ one, and you have to give good reasons for it, one of them would be the bonds you have with/ in Germany. I seriously doubt that 'being eligible' for German citizenship is a very strong bond.
    Without knowing more about your friend's situation and why she is eligible- she would, for example, also need to proof her German language abilities.It is quite a comprehensive form to fill in.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    But- she should be aware that Germany is not fond of dual citizenship, either. You have to apply to keep you German citizenship before you take up the NZ one, and you have to give good reasons for it, one of them would be the bonds you have with/ in Germany. I seriously doubt that 'being eligible' for German citizenship is a very strong bond.
    Having German passport with NZ Permanent Residence on it doesn't make that person having dual citizenship, isn't it?

I just know that Germany is not happy with dual citizenship Interesting to know ... How about NZ? Does NZ allow dual citizenship without applying for its permission ?

No, of course a German passport with NZ residence doesn't make dual citizenship, but neither does a Malaysian passport with NZ residence?! I don't really see the difference- if the person wants to apply for NZ citizenship, it could be exactly the same outcome for both countries.

As far as I know NZ has no problems with dual citizenship at all.