Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repeat prescription

Default Repeat prescription

Hi

i'm on esomeprazole for acid reflux on a repeat prescription. Anyone had any problems getting through the medical with similar problems?

i dont think having omeprazole on repeat presc would cause any issue. In my case i had been treated for ulcer in the past due to acid reflux and been on omeprazole when we applied for Resident visa. Went into MA referral and cleared by MA.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle20 View Post
    Hi

i'm on esomeprazole for acid reflux on a repeat prescription. Anyone had any problems getting through the medical with similar problems?

You will be referred to the medical assesor who will have to examine the underlying condition and determine if the ongoing cost of treatment over your projected lifetime in NZ would exceed $25,000... Nexium (esomeprazole) is very expensive and not currently available in NZ (as far as I know), so it would be based on whatever the approved NZ alternative is and expectations for the underlying condition.
    Last edited by G-Mo; 4th July 2012 at 12:21 PM.

Oopsie.. my bad. thought esomeprazole and omeprazole are the same..

This is interesting since I also take omeprazole. I was given it to help with some over active stomach acid which both myself and my GP thought was simply stress related, so I wasn't on a repeat prescription. Now I have been referred to the MA and wonder if this might be the reason.

I actually used up the last of my prescribed capsules within the first month of being in NZ (Feb/Mar) and since I have found a substitute which contains omeprazole and I can buy it over the counter here. Its called Losec.

Losec is pretty expensive, $30 for 14 tablets . Since I purchase this myself thought would this count towards the $25,000? I wouldn't have thought so personally since its not prescribed.

At this point my pending application is only for a Work Visa. ITA to be submitted in the next month or so after I get my NZQA results.

thanks guys. i'm going to make an appointment with the docs today to see if i can go back down to omeprazole so at least i'm on a prescription that is available in NZ.

Omeprazole, also known as Losec, Antra, Gastroloc, Mopral, Omepral, and Prilosec, is a first generation proton pump inhibitor. It's less effective than esmeprazole; many people having started on omeprazole and being moved up to esmeprazole when the former ceased being effective.

If you are paying for it yourself, I shouldn't think it counts towards your $25k, however, it's usage indicates an underlying condition which could cost in the future (e.g. Barrett's esophagus, esophical cancer).

This worries me........my 18yr old son is diabetic, on insulin. Will he not get in then? With me?

Quote Originally Posted by Rmn58 View Post
    This worries me........my 18yr old son is diabetic, on insulin. Will he not get in then? With me?
    Depends on what they evaluate his lifetime cost on the system to be based on current and projected needs.

Only a MA can answer that question for sure... The magic number is $25,000.
    Last edited by G-Mo; 5th July 2012 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo View Post
    it's usage indicates an underlying condition which could cost in the future (e.g. Barrett's esophagus, esophical cancer).
    Well I had my medicals done in New Zealand and they came back ok. Obviously had to mention I was on the Omeprazole though, but made it clear that it was taken as and when needed. So I hope it doesnt cause me any grief, both with INZ and medically in the future :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast