Thread: Unskilled Migrant - Just A Dreamer?

Default Unskilled Migrant - Just A Dreamer?

Hello guys,

Everyone seems to be talking about skilled migration only, but what about rest of us who:
    a) arent highly educated (neither their partners) to earn essential point
    b) dont have a family member already in (or from) NZ?

I have lived in UK for few years and worked in hospitality field as a waitress, barista etc. However there has always been a desire to move down under and now I feel like its time to do something about it.
    Because my type of work will hardly ever get onto Shortage List, I try to find out about other options.
    I play with an idea of setting up a business. Start small- what doesnt require big capital- maybe sell homemade products in a market stall and develop from there... Would I be able to get visa under Long Term Business Category? (Though I have actually never run business before?)
    I have also heard that you need to work for somebody for 2 years before becoming self-employed. Is it true?

I am not very keen on Work Holiday Scheme as I want to have a decent life in NZ, not just travel and do odd jobs here and there.

So am I a dreamer?

Thanks for your comments and opinions.

Zuzana

Welcome to the forum.

It is a dream until we actually get those precious blue stickers. Nothing wrong with having a dream/goal in life, it is what helps us to get out of bed each day.

I agree it does feel sometimes like everyone else is just getting their SMC points, applying for residency and getting it without hard work, but I am sure that isn't the reality for many people.

Have you worked out how many points you have at the moment so you can see what you would need to do to increase them to a level to put in an EOI? This was our starting point.

You could always consider studying to get qualifications, this is what OH is doing to get us points. We don't have any close family in NZ to give us any points either. Even with the points for his degree we will still have to find employment to allow us to get there.

If you are young enough to use the WHV that would surely give you a step on the ladder with some work experience in NZ, which is always a good thing.

Hello and welcome.

Hello!

P

The working holiday scheme would provide the best option for you to come to NZ now. The WHS does not normally limit you to just odd jobs, so you can do any seasonal or non-permanent role that you can find.

my exsperience with nz immigration is they are really good reasonable people. I do know lots of People in nz who do jobs like yours, they turn up get permits fill in the forms, do what they say they will do and make a life for themselves here in nz.

bob

About the LTBV - here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...quirements.htm are the requirements, which include business experience. Have you thought about starting a small business in the UK to begin with? There's lots of help, advice and even funding available (local initiatives, The Prince's Trust) for younger people, and it could get you some knowhow to take on to NZ.

I have also heard that you need to work for somebody for 2 years before becoming self-employed.
    Can you give a source or context for this? It doesn't ring any bells with me. There isn't a straightforward answer, anyway. Details will vary, depending on what kind of visa somebody has. As you can see, a LTBV expects that the person will be running their own business straight away. Someone with Residence without conditions would be free to run their own business (or study, or be employed) - if they have conditions to begin with, which are normally to take up a job offered and work in it for three months, once those are fulfilled, again, they would be able to do as they wish. If someone has a work visa, they are bound to the skilled employment (or a similar one) that they came in on, and couldn't do anything else without getting a different kind of visa.