Thread: Car for only 10 months

Default Car for only 10 months

I will be working in Wellington from September until the following summer, and then be returning to the US, as I will be on a fixed term contract. Unfortunately, my employer is not offering use of a car. Any suggestions for getting reliable transportation for such a short period of time. I am hesitant to spend a large amount on a used car and am not sure if there are short term lease options. I do need reliable transportation, as my job requires a fair amount of driving, and we want to be able to explore NZ. Any suggestions?

We've just bought a car in the UK for a 1 month trip because it is so much cheaper than renting. It depends upon what you consider a large amount of money. You should get something perfectly good for $2000-$5000 and the re-sell it when you leave.

Not sure if this is an option for you, but we bought our Honda Odyssey at an auction for $2500. It's perfect for road trips and it gets decent mileage (kilometerage?) for a petrol car. There are several car auctions around Wellington; we went to Turners in Seaview (Petone). The thing is, it's a bit buyer beware...we felt confident enough to give potential cars the once-over but that doesn't go for everyone. According to AA, our car is valued at $6800, so if we wanted to sell up, we'd be confident in making our investment back

Good info. Thanks. We are hoping to find a location where we rarely drive, but figure we will need a car at least for trips.

That's us; we only fill up about once a month. The train is brilliant!

Sounds like for at least the first month we will be living in Rosenheath. Good bus service and we like to walk, so I guess we will see how it goes. We might end up moving closer in eventually, but with a dog and needing a furnished apartment this could be our best choice. But it sounds like we will drive a bit more than we hoped, or be very reliant on the bus.

You'll be fine without a car in Roseneath - you might want to take a taxi for when you have a lot of shopping but otherwise it is on the bus route to the city centre and isn't that far to walk into town.

Thanks. It's great to have our accommodations sorted before we arrive. Looking at apartments can be fun- but not when you are up against a deadline. This will really free up our first week. Any good suggestions for the best ways to get acclimated to Wellington after we first arrive? I'm sure we will be a. Bit jet lagged and disoriented but we want to get our feet under us as soon as we can.

Just walk around, go the museums and the cafes. It is easy to find your way around.
    I just remembered we had a thread going called '101 things to do in Wellington' so here it is: http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....981&highlight=
    Hopefully you will find some ideas there!

There are long term car lease available, but they are quite expensive ... For that length of time I would buy something inexpensive.