Thread: Quiet(er) Apartments

Default Quiet(er) Apartments

Hi,

I am moving to Auckland (from Sweden) next week and looking for apartment rentals near University of Auckland (where I'll be doing doctorate). While searching for my initial short-term rental apartment (2 weeks) I noticed that a lot of folks have complained (on tripadvisor, etc) about "street noise," "loud music" and "partying until morning" on most locations in city center area. I was wondering where to look for quiet apartment blocks near University area (walking distance max 30 mins)? Also, Any recommendations/tips on finding quieter apartments and how much should i expect to pay for (at least) a year for 1 bed apartment?

Thanks

Hello and welcome.

New Market/Grafton would be good location (though I have not lived close to CBD, any high rise would be good option I suppose)

I haven't lived in the CBD in Auckland but from experience in other cities I know a high rise won't guarantee quiet. Sound really carries up so even on the higher floors the noise can keep you awake at night. A low rise in a quieter neighbourhood away from the bars can be much nicer. The lower density means less activity in general.

Auckland CBD isn't really a great place to live. An article in the paper recently said that the average resident has been there less than 2 years. The apartments are small and designed for transients. Go a little outside and things get much better. Newmarket and the edge of Remuera, Mt Eden, Ponsonby. All neighbourhoods around the CBD but not in it. And quite walkable to the University. And if you want to cycle, places like Mission Bay are an easy ride along the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    New Market/Grafton would be good location (though I have not lived close to CBD, any high rise would be good option I suppose)
    You are joking! We stayed in Waldorf in Grafton above 10th floor and it was noisy as hell with SH1 meeting SH16 and associated slip roads within earshot.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by doreysc View Post
    You are joking! We stayed in Waldorf in Grafton above 10th floor and it was noisy as hell with SH1 meeting SH16 and associated slip roads within earshot.

Simon
    Not at all, I didn't know Waldorf was actually in Grafton (isn't it just along Symonds street and technically within CBD) - Motorways can't screech to the area along Grafton towards New Market

I think there are several Waldorfs in Auckland.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I think there are several Waldorfs in Auckland.
    Yep. I am staying at Waldorf on Wakefield Street and it is not quiet by any standard.

Thanks for the information, everyone - i have included all the suggestions in the search criteria now, no joy yet. A quick thing, i have seen a lot of hotel/apartment combos and less apartment-only blocks, so should i avoid the former i.e. hotel/apartment combo options (since i thought they will be more noisy)?

Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    ...I was wondering where to look for quiet apartment blocks near University area (walking distance max 30 mins)?...
    You can walk quite a distance in that time. I'd suggest Parnell, St. Mary's Bay, and maybe Newmarket if you can find something at least a couple of blocks off Broadway. Grafton, as well -- the Medical School is at the Grafton campus, and the med students tend to be a bit more serious and mature.

...how much should i expect to pay for (at least) a year for 1 bed apartment?...
    At least $350-$400 per week for a decent place. Don't be misled by advertisements on Trademe that advertise "1-bedroom" apartments for much less -- they tend to be single rooms in hostel-type environments that sound exactly what you're NOT looking for (I've seen advertisers claim that this is because Trademe does not have a category for "Studio" or "Single Room.") If you don't mind the hassle, you might do better finding a 2-bedroom for a bit more and then advertising for a flatmate.

I used to have an apartment in Vincent Street (CBD) called the Eclipse. The street is tree-lined and very quiet, there are several apartment buildings there including a hotel. Eclipse might be a little too upmarket but there are several student accommodations around which may be more suited to your liking and it is within walking distance to transport links and conveniences.