Thread: Shipping advice

Default Shipping advice

Ok- we have had Angalo Pacific (£4040), Crown (£4700) and PSS (£3900) for a 20' container.

Britannia came to quote- promised it on Monday, but has still not given me one (despite emails requesting it!)

So- should I accept the PSS one (they also have a free air freight of 25kg), try to negotiate the others down or try to negotiate PSS down as well (if so, how do I go about doing it??)

Ta,

Eliot

We plumped for PSS. They weren't the cheapest but seemed the most professional operation and put the effort to get our business - rang regularly to see if visas had been approved etc.

Packers worked their socks off to get it all done in a day - chirpy even though they had to cart boxes to the lorry at the end of our street as too narrow for them to drive down. And in the pouring rain ALL day!

However, it doesn't arrive for another couple of weeks so we will see how it has fared the journey.

Don't forget you are not obliged to take out insurance with the same shipping co. Try Letton Percival instead.

How do you go about it? Just ask, firmly and confidently. (I never used to be comfortable haggling till I went to NZ and saw everybody sucking their teeth and shaking their head at any and every price offered. )

I personally would try to get the best price possible, if you believe that they are all offering a similar service to similar standards then its down to price. When we moved out I got back in touch with our 3 shortlisted companies and basically said that the final decison would be down to who could offer the best price, as we felt that they were our top choices. It was amazing what a little competition did to reduce the price. We got almost a £1000 pounds reduced in fees, given the current world economic situation they will be keen to get the work.

I hope this helps.

That's a good tip Juxta......thanks

We got Crown the second time around .... guys were great...they even put the bed together for us.

This is valuable information. Thank you..

Quote Originally Posted by Delta_Cephei View Post
    Ok- we have had Angalo Pacific (£4040), Crown (£4700) and PSS (£3900) for a 20' container.

Britannia came to quote- promised it on Monday, but has still not given me one (despite emails requesting it!)

So- should I accept the PSS one (they also have a free air freight of 25kg), try to negotiate the others down or try to negotiate PSS down as well (if so, how do I go about doing it??)

Ta,

Eliot
    We had a quote for 20ft container done in March by Anglo Pacific and they came back with just under £3800. At that time from others on the forum that seemed slightly on the high side.

It might seem easy for me to say as it is part of my job to negotiate, but the best thing I find is to have it in your head what price you would like to pay - mention the other quotes you have had, a lot of companies will match if it means getting your business.

But bear in mind who you want to go with, who gives you the best feeling of doing a good job. Afterall these are your worldly goods they are going to be shipping and you want to feel that they will take the best care they can of them.

Interestingly...I've had one quote so far. I have less than half a container and they have quoted me more than half of what has been quoted on here for a full container! Asked them to revise as they had quoted for a double bed, fridge, tumble dryer and bicycle.....which aren't going....reduced cost by £50!!!! Really depressed me and thinking of not going....till I saw this thread again! Next quote I am going to be very clear about what is and isn't going ( though I thought I had!) and tell them I'm looking for cheapest quote!!!!!
    By the way....I know that you have to be very careful about rust on cars, bikes and dirt on boots etc but does the same apply if there is any rust on a fridge say? Man from company said it wasn't worth the risk,...then promptly included fridge on quote! I can't see any rust, I hasten to add, but you never know what is underneath..........it's an oldish fridge but not that old!
    Sorry for rambling................my head is spinning at the moment!!!!!!!! :-(