Thread: Carseats from USA

Default Carseats from USA

I was wondering if anyone can give me a quick answer about carseats from the USA. Do the cars in New Zealand have the same attachment system as in the US? Am I able to use my carseats that I have now and attach them to the car in NZ without any hassle? I just want to bring them over when we first get there and then as soon as we get a chance I will upgrade to the New Zealand regulations, if there are any differences. I know there are a ton of threads on that here. I will catch up on regulations by reading other posts.

This is just for the move. Trying to figure out if we should even bring our carseats.
    Last edited by LVKris; 7th July 2012 at 02:37 AM.

We don't have car seats anymore, but we are taking our booster seats over. When we were there 2 years ago, the boys were in car seats and they had the same system as ours here in the states. But I don't know what type of seat you are using. We used Britax seats which is a UK company and they were highly rated at the time. I am sure you will be fine with what you have. Good luck.

Thanks... I might as well just bring them and then deal with it once I am over there. Add it to the list.

$200 per decent booster here!! Bring 'em.

Definitely bring them. We brought our graco snugride + base when we holidayed earlier this year. Fit in every car we drove down there (about 4 different cars).

We brought our UK carseat, no problem - I presume US ones would be ok too

Quote Originally Posted by sophiedb View Post
    We brought our UK carseat, no problem - I presume US ones would be ok too
    Yep, mine were US boosters and then bought 2 here as we ended up with a 2nd car

In case you don't know - Britax US and Graco US car seats are not legal in NZ. They don't meet NZ standards (although I'm sure they are perfectly safe!) and when you purchase your new ones here, you will not be able to sell the US ones.

Britax and Graco seats made in the UK are fine.

The reason I mentioned the above is - if you were going to sell the seat and put the money towards a new one, it may be better to sell it in the US