Thread: Do I need to have my qualifications assessed by NZQA?

Default Do I need to have my qualifications assessed by NZQA?

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can save me a lot of time researching this. I have been granted a residence visa in the SMC category, as a speech therapist, which is on the LTSSL. I plan on arriving in NZ later this year to look for work. As part of the process for gaining approval for my residence visa, my experience and education were carefully evaluated to be sure they complied with the requirements of the EOI points system which rewards points based on this skill. They only award the points, and therefore invite applications, and therefore approve the visa only if they determine my qualifications are up to their standard. So my question is, does this mean I have met the NZQA standard by dint of getting the approval via INZ to come work as a Speech therapist or do I still have to go through some additional NZQA process before I can start working? Thank you! Enzica

The INZ checking is for the purpose of making sure that each applicant has the certain level of education/training laid down to count as 'skilled' by NZ immigration law. They looked to see that you do indeed have the qualifications you said you have. INZ are not experts in all conceivable careers, so what they do isn't necessarily considered relevant by employers.

A Google has given this. http://www.careers.govt.nz/default.a...103&id1=J35412 It says you need to meet the requirements of the NZSTA, which is here. http://www.speechtherapy.org.nz/nzst...proval-process (They have their own system of assessing whether your qualifications are equivalent, nothing to do with the NZQA, apparently.)

(A further thought - didn't INZ ask if you were eligible to register with the NZSTA? That would normally be the case with careers that require membership of a professional body.)

Thank you. I am reading and hearing a lot of conflicting information and I can't make sense of the NZQA site. I was never asked if I was eligible to register, nor told that I needed to be a member of NZSTA. Some information I got indicated being a member of the US speech therapy association was enough. I think what it meant was, it was enough to automatically qualify for membership in NZSTA, IF I was in good standing with ASHA (the US body), BUT I STILL HAD TO APPLY, PAY A FEE, AND SEND SATISFACTORY DOCUMENTATION for their files so they can cover their bases. So I think I've got it. Thanks.

Your 'if' sounds right, in line with that page I found.

Hi Enzica,

I am also a Speech therapist from USA and have ASHA CCCs.

Do we need to get approval from NZSTA for overseas qualifications? Is that must to get a job as SLP there?

Thank you .

Here's the information. http://www.speechtherapy.org.nz/nzst...tion-agreement