Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 days before the Shippers come in...

Default 4 days before the Shippers come in...

Still so much to do but I think, just possibly, I can see the tiniest flicker of light at the end of the tunnel. I'll probably remember tomorrow those couple of dozen things not on my list and start panicking again of course ...

Bicycles, tools, patio furniture, ladders etc are all bleached - tent to be cleaned tomorrow. Running out of space in the house - goodness only knows where the packers are actually going to be able to pack anything!!

I vary between being ruthless and being stupidly sentimental. Got friends in forcing me to throw stuff away/freecycle/sell things I don't need. It's been absolutely tipping it down here today yet a friend's husband worked like a trojan clearing out my shed. It's times like these that you find out who your friends are - even those who bring cake on a Friday afternoon

We are getting ready for it. I'm curious to work out how long it took to get everything packed? We are thinking 4 weeks-odd.

Dont forget to separate all the things you DONT want packed, maybe in the bathroom or somewhere and tell them to leave that room alone. they will go through the place like a dose of salts.

RejjieM, I'm in Hampshire too. Be interested to know which shippers you used and where you went for medicals.....experience etc.
    And yes, the rain has been awful.....but at least it stops you being tempted to sit in the garden :-)

Good on you ReggieM, you are almost there. Sounds like you have gotten a ton done. Congrats. Everyday I am walking around and trying and find something to donate or give away. I have a ton of stuff in our front room that is piling up around me that will be donated in a week. I have cleaned out 2 of the 3 Christmas boxes. I have wiped down every single ornament etc. And anything that could possibly give us a problem is being given away. I don't want to take any chances. Good luck to you!!!

What a great way to do a massive cleaning of all the clutter you don't want/need. What are some of the things you are cleaning that are apart from the obvious? ie; bikes, outdoor items...

Christmas ornaments? Does everything have to be thoroughly cleaned and bleached etc? I better start now if it does! I had picked up on bikes, outdoor stuff but not on the everything else!

Quote Originally Posted by RejjieM View Post
    It's times like these that you find out who your friends are - even those who bring cake on a Friday afternoon
    What an amazing friend

Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmn58 View Post
    Christmas ornaments? Does everything have to be thoroughly cleaned and bleached etc? I better start now if it does! I had picked up on bikes, outdoor stuff but not on the everything else!
    From the point of view of cleaning, MAF are interested in anything that could be carrying life. Therefore you need to consider dirt that could harbour microbes (hence the outdoor stuff because of soil), anything sticky that could have seeds or spores embedded in it, any cobwebs with occupants or eggs, any sign of larvae or chrysalises, etc.. You need to think about the small corners of furniture and underneaths of objects, as creepy crawlies can use these even indoors. If MAF look at one piece of furniture and it's been dealt with well (and maybe if there's a slight aroma of Jeyes fluid or similar), they're less likely to want to look at more, which is a consideration because there's a fee for everything they open. The issue about Christmas decorations arises because a lot of families have home-made ones that include pine-cones with viable seeds inside. As with other uses of seeds (for food, decoration, inside shakers for the noise, jewellery) they can only be taken in if they have been treated so they cannot germinate. If MAF find anything suspect, it will either be confiscated, or treated at your expense.

We are getting ready for it. I'm curious to work out how long it took to get everything packed? We are thinking 4 weeks-odd.
    Dede, I am completely disorganised and the least methodical person in the world, so it has taken me ages. But, in my defence, I am alone most of the time with 2 small children who do not make my task any easier

Dont forget to separate all the things you DONT want packed, maybe in the bathroom or somewhere and tell them to leave that room alone. they will go through the place like a dose of salts.
    This is what I woke up worrying about in the middle of the night last night - birth certificates, immunisation records, kids' personal dvd players for the plane etc

RejjieM, I'm in Hampshire too. Be interested to know which shippers you used and where you went for medicals.....experience etc
    We used Pickfords - got quotes from Anglo Pacific, Pickfords and Robinsons. It all came down to gut feeling and the sales man from Pickfords - Anglo guy didn't know the answer to some questions and Robinsons have never to this date given me a follow-up call to ask what our decision was! Considering they quoted back in March (I think!), I wasn't terribly impressed. We used St Paul's surgery in Winchester for the medicals - quite expensive I think, but time was of the essence and we live just 8 miles away ... Very lovely Drs who definitely knew exactly what they were doing - even correcting one of our mistakes on the form - highly recommend them (apart from the price)

I have cleaned out 2 of the 3 Christmas boxes.
    - Fortunately (!) we didn't have anything natural in our Christmas decoration box - all artificial

What are some of the things you are cleaning that are apart from the obvious? ie; bikes, outdoor items...
    Ladders, work benches, electric saw, basically anything that had been in the shed, attic or outside - anything with potential soil, cobwebs, insects etc on them.

And, Caroline, my friends cakes were wonderful! Her macaroons are to die for!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast