Thread: About to choose Shipper...

Default About to choose Shipper...

Cor blimey- didn't realise how challenging choosing a shipper was!

We had 4 companies visit. OH saw the first (Angalo Pacific) whilst I was away- did very well, but we hadn't got rid of much stuff and quoted 40' (at least!).

Then PSS- nice chap- suggested 40' but not as full- if got rid of more could get into a 20'. The quote is my cheapest.

Next Britannia. I would tell you how much- only they have never got back to me with the quote. Even after contacting Head Office, no-one has sorted one out: wasted an afternoon off of work!!

Finally- Crown. They had a very good visit, more meticulous on what went in and very similar to PSS in terms of friendliness.

BUT they were nearly £900 more expensive than PSS.

Contacted PSS- they reduced by £50 because I had been to a show. However- the PSS quote also has a lot of provisos saying that, with the olympics, there may be hold ups, and i must agree to pay those costs if they are held up for any reason! Not sure I like that at all.

Crown have now reduced to the same price as AP have offered on the 20' plus they have a crate/box for my TV included (with PSS it is extra) and they will pay $300 MAF fee (not PSS). So I think that, actually on balance Crown is better (particlularly being based in NZ too).

Anyhow- I am just waiting for PSS to answer my query about the potential hidden 'olympic costs' and possibly revise their quote. But I am pretty sure we will be going with Crown.

Ta,

Eliot

I'm curious as to how the Olympics are about to affect shipping to New Zealand!!!!! In what way????????!!!!! Don't Olympic teams fly? Even their horses are flown in! Does New Zealand have a huge team that will be travelling by ship back? How strange! Can't wait to hear the explanation lol Good luck, and all this info is excellent, thanks

If it helps this is our experience with crown. They were excellent and would reccomend to anyone

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....663&highlight=

I quite agree that PSS have a nerve in expecting YOU to pay for any delay due to the Olympics. But I can imagine such a delay.

Where we live, while the Olympics sailing events are in progress, we hear that they are going to prioritize main road traffic at one major junction, and cut off local access entirely at the next - great for local people (local council-tax payers) trying to go about their ordinary lives by actually wanting to get to the major local town if we happen to live the other side of the London-Weymouth flow.

Then, next Thursday, the Olympic torch junket is due to come through this area, with the cavalcade blocking other traffic as it goes. Women attending for ante-natal checks have been told that, if they are likely to give birth that day, they should "find another route to Dorchester" (where the maternity unit is). There is ONE direct route to Dorchester from here: if you don't take that, you're facing a complicated diversion through the hills on twisty lanes, single-track roads in places. ("Never mind the contractions, dear. Should we have gone right or left by that last big oak tree?") The town centre is going to be closed off for four hours, and they've cancelled the market - great for local business, this torch enthusiasm, they tell us - and goodness knows how they'll get any necessary emergency vehicles through to parts of the surrounding rural area, as the traffic system here means the town centre is the access...

Come on, everybody, buck up! The Olympics are Good For Us.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta_Cephei View Post
    However- the PSS quote also has a lot of provisos saying that, with the olympics, there may be hold ups, and i must agree to pay those costs if they are held up for any reason! Not sure I like that at all.

That sounds dubious. If that had been us, I wouldn't have had anything to do with that and I would told them I wasn't prepared to pay for any potential holdups. Sounds like they are trying to cover themselves and use that as an excuse. It is going to backfire on them though and lose them custom.
    Best wishes for the move.

We used Crown too & were very happy with the service. One of the benefits was Crown having their own operations here in NZ - so we knew there was someone locally to deal with if any problems.

Ack! Having plumped for Crown now they tell me that I will have to pay more as Blenheim is further from Nelson than expected. Not that I have ever said that we we moving anywhere other than Blenheim at any point! So on Monday, Crown at £4090 will probably go up and PSS at £3750 will become my new shipper...

Blenheim is further from Nelson than expected? Did somebody unkindly move it while they weren't looking?

What a feeble excuse, and I hope you tell them so as they lose your business.

Well-I've told them that I can wait for the revised paperwork Monday, but if it is more then I won't use them as I have always said Blenheim so it's their mistake.

Just double check with PSS what their estimated door-to-door timings are.

We were told 8-12 weeks (groupage) but it is now looking more like 15-17 weeks. Grrrr!