Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SoCal GUY goes shopping in NZ

Default SoCal GUY goes shopping in NZ

Hi all,
    Thought someone might be interested in my husband's shopping excursion yesterday. He is in NZ for a month (in Otaki, on the Kapiti Coast about an hour north of Wellington) outfitting our kitchen and overseeing it's remodeling (love the house but one cabinet only just won't do!) Yesterday he picked up the following items: basic microwave, toaster oven, coffee maker (no clock on it, no automatic turn-off), and electric teakettle for a total of $190 NZ at the Warehouse. Our dear Kiwi friends took him there to outfit the kitchen, but the selection was, ah-hum, lacking to say the least. My husband is so minimalist himself, that it worked out fine. But would I have said "Take me to your high-end goods! Take me to your bells & whistles!" I don't know. Anyway, we can't take the stuff we have like that, and he will need these items to make meals around the construction. Today he is going back to the Post Office - to buy a fridge!! Yes, who knew the Post Office carried appliances?!? And I thought the only extra shopping I could do at the Post Office was for collector stamps! Will keep you posted on the fridge. Any other questions I'll be glad to ask him. :cool

Hi, SoCalGal!!!

The post office carries white goods?? Ok, that's just... weird. :?

I guess the question is.. can you get a deal??

Sounds to me like Mr. SoCalGuy did just fine for himself at the Warehouse -- did he find it as much like Wal-Mart there as I did? Not my favorite place to shop, but boy, I was glad to find them when my old suitcase fell into pieces during my visit!!

Can't wait to hear how he goes with the fridge!! This is such great stuff, coming from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Thanks so much for taking the time to share it with us all. I'm looking forward to hearing about his continued adventures!!

Huuuuuuuugggggggggssss, Rae

Default SoCal GUY goes shopping

Oh yeah, he got the fridge at the Post Office, they had the best prices! And free same day delivery!! Now, here is the sobering part - $1700 NZ!!!
    Let me tell you what it is - it is that good brand made there, F-P, I can't remember the full name, they make dishwashers too. It is a standard one door model with the freezer on the bottom. The freezer has two drawers on rollers that slide out. My husband said that others he looked at just had those coated wire baskets, and looked kind of flimsy, so that's why he picked this model. Also, the fridge has glass shelves.....I never thought about that being something special, as I have had glass shelf fridges for as long as I can remember. He had to go buy a special socket to plug it in, though, as the outlet just had one plug (our house is from the 50's, but I've never seen a one-plug outlet). Today he is going to look for a TV, but since he is staying only a month this time, he's not getting cable and just going with what he can bring in from the antennae. The one thing he is a little upset about is that two towns are completely sold out of the little heaters he wants to get, due to a late cold snap. So he is going to Wellington today to get a heater. Other than that, he bought a cappucino maker at a thrift store for $25, with the understanding that if it didn't work, he could bring it back. It didn't work. Will keep you posted! :cool

FP stands for Fisher paykel which is a brand the nzers seem to really rate.

I just had to add to this !

The Warehouse, the Warehouse - were everyone gets a bargain !

Or so the advert goes - and you really can ! They buy in lots of brand name goods and sell them off cheaply. Don't discount it (pardon the pun).

Briscoe's too - good for all homewares.

Pug (not on commission - honest !)

OH MY - Woz goes round humming that bloomin' advert.... must be a sign he's integrating!!

Don't forget "The money back Guarantee"!!!!!

Warehouse Bargains:
    21" TV Sanyo $300
    14" TV Sanyo $150
    Cascade Mirowave 700 W $100
    Cascade 30 L digital microwave $170
    Sanyo 1600 W bagless vacuum $100
    Sanyo VCR $150

The Warehouse is amazing, they really follow the 'stack them high sell them cheap' ethos - but it really works.

And the Warehouse song ............. once heard - never forgotten.

In April I bought a few pairs of Ugg boots in the Warehouse for just a few dollars each. Brought them home as presents for nieces ...... height of fashion here in UK this season and a snip of the UK prices too. And they were real sheepskin !!!

Diny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast