Thread: Cat and Dog vaccinations

Default Cat and Dog vaccinations

Hi all!
    We have a dog and two cats who will be making the trip to NZ with us. Their usual vaccinations are up to date, but I've looked through all the NZ Maf guidance docs etc (many, many times) and while everything seems clear about rabies vacc's and leptospirosis, babesia etc tests plus heartworm treatment and worming and tick treatments etc, I can't find anything on other vaccinations at all, although I've just read some stuff on a pet travel website suggesting they need various ones.

So my question - other than rabies, what vaccinations are required for cats and dogs coming from the UK for import to or quarantine within or residing in New Zealand?

Thanks

Si

Ok, you can forget the question. I bit more rooting around and smallprint reading reveals that the Canterbury Quarantine service requires the following:-
    DOGS: Must be vaccinated against Parvovirus, Distemper, Hepatitis, Kennel cough - This vaccination must have been within 12 months but not within 21 days of arrival into New Zealand.
    CATS: Must be vaccinated against Feline Enteritis, Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis and Calicivirus infection. This vaccination must have been within 12 months but not within 21 days of arrival into New Zealand.

I didn't need to ask here at all.
    Carry on!

Quote Originally Posted by Drains View Post
    Ok, you can forget the question. I bit more rooting around and smallprint reading reveals that the Canterbury Quarantine service requires the following:-
    Just in case you don't know, the term you used in the previous post (my highlighting) is considered a swear word in NZ and should normally be avoided - unless of course you like swearing a lot?

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Just in case you don't know, the term you used in the previous post (my highlighting) is considered a swear word in NZ and should normally be avoided - unless of course you like swearing a lot?

Ian
    Er, ok, gotcha, thanks.
    So what do pigs do in NZ Ian? As we intend to get some, I might need to know how to describe their habits!