Thread: Daughter with developmental delay

Default Daughter with developmental delay

Hello,

My husband, two children and I are coming out to NZ in October for six months. We are hoping to settle but want to spend a bit of time in the country before making our final decision. We are thinking that if we decide to try and settle my husband would seek employment (skill shortage profession) and apply for work to residence. In an ideal world we could do this within the six months without having to leave NZ. Without a job offer we have 135 points.

Our daughter has developmental delay. She is 4 now and if we were staying in Scotland she would be going to mainstream school with additional support. Could her difficulties mean we may not be granted a visa?

Esther Shimmin

It's going to depend quite a bit on the level of help she will need in school.

See Section A4.10.5, here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/ And here http://www.minedu.govt.nz/NZEducatio...ingScheme.aspx, about the Ongoing Resourcing Scheme. There is A4.60, though, about Medical Waivers.

As pp stated depends on what support she needs. My older son has Sppech apraxia and has ST through school here, little extra support from teacher aide and we got PR after having to get a lot of info from ST's etc and got referred to a MA. You will find people out here a lot more tolerant.

Thanks for this. I feel optimistic. Her delay is unexplained (no genetic abnormalities and no classic characteristics of ASD) so we cannot predict the future. She is following the normal developmental curve, it's just taking her longer so I see her as needing less support as she gets older. Fingers crossed! Would hate her to miss out on growing up in NZ.

This doesn't relate to visas, but I do know that the school I work at has a budget from MoE for misc "special needs". Students with known issues of various levels and types may also get ORS or RTLB funding (acronym soup flows through all bureaucracies..), but the "misc" budget covers 1:1 and small group time with TAs for kids who need a bit of extra assistance.

Going by what you've said, your DD might fit under the misc category and so I wouldn't worry too much.. but my own experience with the medical assessors suggests that they are very black and white, and allergic to grey areas like "unexplained" and "cannot predict".

Fingers crossed for you!!

That sounds really like the schooling system here in Scotland. Thanks for the warning about the MA's fear of the unknown. We shall remember that when presenting Liv's difficulties. I really hope we make it.

I have a child on the spectrum. You will almost certainly be referred to the medical examiner. Expect a delay. What you need is a clear developmental history and very very important a prognosis. It doesn't look like your kid would qualify for ORS...it's only for 1pc of kids, who really need a lot of support. There are aides in schools...I just got my son through after two requests...I'm not saying don't be concerned but you ought to be ok.

...oh and they will ask for something written by a doctor or pediatrician and anything from any and all therapists (which will specifically ask for case history and prognosis). If she doesn't get therapy, make sure you say that. Anything to preempt them from asking more than once for information. It will set you back about a month in your process if they only ask once for info. It is extremely important to answer their specific questions. A lot of the process is checking boxes.
    Last edited by dede; 19th July 2012 at 04:43 AM.