Thread: Question for US citizens - Jury duty

Default Question for US citizens - Jury duty

Do we need to let someone know we are moving out of the country so that we don't get a jury summons in our absence? The only reason I ask this is because my husband just received a summons (right in the middle of this crazy move) and we are like crap what do we do if this happens in 47 days? I have moved all over the US over the past 20 years and the jury summons always finds me through my driver's licenses etc. But I am not sure what we are supposed to do if anything with us actually moving out of the country. Please advise. And sorry if this is a totally stupid question.

That's not a stupid question at all! Hope somebody from the USA knows some sense to tell you.

Not the US but I had exactly the same thing in the UK.
    I was called for Jury service which was to start a week before we were emmigrating. I sent them a scan of my passport with the visa and they replied wishing us all the success in New Zealand and I was removed from Jury service

We gave the DMV our overseas address as we had some correspondence due to be sent to us. Just let the DMV know you are leaving and it is up to you if you want to give them your new address.

Fabulous! thank you all. whew. I have added this to my to do list. 44 days and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwihusker View Post
    Fabulous! thank you all. whew. I have added this to my to do list. 44 days and counting.

Make sure you also bring a statement from your Car Insurance company stating if you have had any claims or more importantly, no claims for so many yrs as it will save a you 100's off Car Insurance.

Good to know. Thanks

I would have never even thought about it, but I guess i should do something, so in case we come back, I won't have a warrant out for my arrest!

Oh and you still have to file taxes annually in the US from over here (I know)..just to be aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagabel View Post
    Oh and you still have to file taxes annually in the US from over here (I know)..just to be aware.
    Oh... I'll be sure and file my taxes!!