Thread: Why IT Volunteer Work in NZ ?

Question Why IT Volunteer Work in NZ ?

I have completely no idea about volunteer work and would like to understand this working culture in NZ a little bit.

I came across one website about volunteering work and I don't understand why there are some IT volunteer work with this requirements:
    Proficiency in any of these languages: C# : .Net : PHP : HTML : Javascript : CSS and/or database skills. Because of the nature of the work volunteers undertake with our client organisations, it is essential that you have a very good standard of communication skills; in particular conversational English (including over the phone and in person).
    I don't know how is in NZ, but in Germany volunteer jobs are usually more like social works (e.g. helping in some nursing home, assisting and taking care of old people, social worker at red cross).
    But such highly skilled web development job is usually paid job and if the company doesn't need a full-time employee because e.g. the scope of work is relative small, then it is usually advertised as student job or paid internship.
    Most students are very happy to undertake that kind of job, even the salary is not so high but it should be enough to cover students living costs, so that they don't need to ask financial assistant from their parents. Moreover, they can gain some professional experience and earn some money. I did that too when I was student and very happy with my student part time job as programmer. But I have never seen those kind of programming jobs are advertised as volunteer jobs.
    Therefore, I am a little bit confused why in NZ it is considered as volunteer job?
    What could be the benefits for the candidate to do that?

I have some friends who are engineers and enjoy doing volunteer works as social worker at weekend. That is their social activity and they enjoy to do so.
    They meet new people and make new friends. But web development ... I can hardly understand it.

IT Volunteering comes as a news to me, mainly because of the nature of tasks involved and someone might just screw up systems & says "whoops". I guess this job requirement is for a small company/organization/client as people are required to sign off Non Disclosure Agreement before touching any customer/client data in systems.

Link to the role here if someone wishes to see or comment.
    Last edited by Sun777; 19th July 2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: posted link for reference

I've never heard of volunteer software engineering in NZ... I think someone is trying to take advantage of engineers who don't know NZ... take care.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by keylogger View Post
    I don't know how is in NZ, but in Germany volunteer jobs are usually more like social works (e.g. helping in some nursing home, assisting and taking care of old people, social worker at red cross).
    I don't really know how it is in Germany, or New Zealand either really since I am quite new here. But I think you would be surprised at the number and range of volunteering opportunities available both here and in Germany. It is not just social workers at care homes. Charitable organizations, large and small, have needs for all types of skills beyond helping in an old folks home. Many don't have the funds to pay for it but do have a supply of committed individuals that want to help.

For example, a friend in Canada set up the IT systems for a small film festival. Someone else set up the web site. ENZ is also run by volunteers that have must have pretty good skills in IT since it works so well.

In New Zealand, you will find that most work is paid. As a good friend says all the time, "It is called work as they have to pay you to do it." But there are still opportunities to apply your best skills at organisations you care about, even if the organisation can't afford to pay you for it. The advertisement you saw could be one of those opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by keylogger View Post
    Therefore, I am a little bit confused why in NZ it is considered as volunteer job?
    What could be the benefits for the candidate to do that?
    Being a volunteer, I believe it always about what need to pay and what to gain. In this perspective, IT volunteers are as the same as other volunteers to pay their spare time and try to gain respect, friends, or new skills. Though it is true that someone could break down the system sometimes, it is common to make mistakes when doing other jobs except for developing/maintaining IT systems. As long as the volunteer is a responsible person, I believe it is not always a bad idea for some organizations/companies to hire volunteers to do some non-profitable work.

I came here because I am searching a volunteer java developer job to improve my Spring/Hibernate knowledge and wish to contribute my spare time to build a IT system. So, if there any volunteer opportunities in this area, please just contact me xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by IanW99; 30th January 2014 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Rule 10: No personal details

I have done volunteering in IT in Australia . The reason they ask for specific skills is because the current system is probably designed or coded with these programing languages and they are interested in enhancement etc. Usually these jobs or systems are owned by non profit or charity organisations that need help from IT developers to provide them with some additional features or help automating their process to serve society . Usually these are small local community run charities.