Thread: How to obtain a police certificate whilst in Israel

Default How to obtain a police certificate whilst in Israel

Hello there,

I will start by saying that nn order to get a temporary working visa in NZ one should have to obtain a Police Certificate from his/her country.

I am an Israeli citizen who plan to move to New Zealand based on a substential job offer.
    So I went to the local Police Station in Tel-Aviv and requested a Police Certificate for immegration purposes.
    They photo-copied my passport and obviously asked me where to send the police certificate.

The policy here is that you don't get this certificate in hand by all means but rather it should be sent to the relevant Embassy upon your request.

Things get complicated now, because Israel doesn't have an official New Zealand embassy ! (We have NZ Honorary Consul though)
    We have all other Embassies but New Zealand ! (Great ahaa ?)

When I told them to send it to the New Zealand Embassy they couldn't find any in their database !
    I am stuck - I neither can have the required certificate in hand nor send it to an official embassy so they could have my certificate in process.

Any suggestions ?

Notice:
    I want to obtain the Police Certificate whilst in Israel - prior to my arrival in New Zealand.
    I don't wish to start the process upon my arrival to New Zealand because it takes more time.
    I would then have to go to Wellington Embassy pay the fee in cash money, then they send the request to the Israeli Police - I have to wait for the process to end by getting the certificate back from my home country.
    To much time is waisted if you ask me.

Do you have a specific procedure for Israeli applicants residing in Israel ?

Thanks.

Hello and welcome.

According to the instructions on the Immigration NZ website, http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../ij/israel.htm, they are aware that 'Police authorities in some countries will only send the certificate direct to Immigration New Zealand.' It seems that someone somewhere in the Israeli police has to be aware of Immigration NZ as an organization, regardless of there being an Honorary Consul rather than an Embassy. In your place, I would show them this page and ask them to send the certificate to INZ.

I also notice the advice to get copies of all your efforts, in case of being unable to get a certificate, so you're evidently not the only person to have come across difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by solly76 View Post
    The policy here is that you don't get this certificate in hand by all means but rather it should be sent to the relevant Embassy upon your request.
    This seems to be common policy across other countries as well.

I agree with JandM's reply above.

Last edited by cappuccino; 22nd July 2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: misread the OP

Default Police Certificate

Nice said:

----> "It seems that someone somewhere in the Israeli police has to be aware of Immigration NZ as an organization ...." <----

It seems that nobody in the Israeli Police care about this situation.
    I tried to explain them that they need to send the certificate to INZ and even gave them the address/show them this page as you suggested, but my efforts were to no avail, (I am not surprised though)

However, they provided me with a document, declaring that I have no records of criminal convictions nor criminal history in Israel, generally used by potential employers, lenders etc. to assess my trustworthiness.

It's a single page contains my name, my ID and Israeli Police official stamp.
    I have it translated with notarization through a professional translation services here in Israel, just in case.

Do you think it will due ?
    Is this document will be considered acceptable by INZ ?

Appreciate your advice.

Oh, how maddening for you! It's the it-is-not-in-my-rule-book-so-I-am-not-allowed-to-use-my-brain scenario...

All you can do at this stage is use the certificate the Israeli police HAVE given you, and tell INZ all the details of your efforts. Then take it from there - see what INZ say, and react to their reaction.

A further thought - have you thought of contacting whoever is in overall charge of the police for the whole country? Would it be a ministry, perhaps? (I don't mean, instead of pressing on with your INZ application. I was thinking, just to tell them what has happened and suggest the rule book needs to be changed. If enough people do that, it may eventually help. I can also understand that you might feel it to be preferable to wait till after you've got your visa by other means.)

I like your attitude when you said: "just to tell them what has happened and suggest the rule book needs to be changed". Maybe in New Zealand my dear, but in Israel !? I really do.

Nowadays, the Israeli Police is struggling against corruption in the public sector and there is also ongoing public demonstrations against economic concentration and the high cost of living in Israel.

Having said that, imagine an honest citizen, kindly suggesting something about rule book that need ro be changed.. (Nice try )
    I hope for a beter life in New Zealand.

I really appreciate your concern.
    Thank you.

I did say I could understand your not wanting to do it till you're out from under. The thing is, if NO decent, ordinary people ever say anything, those people 'up there' don't ever get feedback except through violence and civic disobedience, which they can make a case for ignoring.