Thread: Rugby and Kite boarding

Question Rugby and Kite boarding

Does anyone here do either?

My other half plays recreational women's rugby and I kite board. We plan to end up in Auckland or Wellington.

Which are the better women's team(s) to join? Where are some popular kite boarding spots on the north island?

Thanks!

My apologies. I should have scrolled down further to realize this should have been posted in the Activities, Vacations, Motels Forum.

No problem - people mostly come in through the New Posts button, so they'll see it in any case. And it belongs just as well in 'Living In', I think.

Although I don't do it myself, I live in the Eastern Bays of Auckland with a view of the water and there are people out on the bay with kites regularly. Often 20 or 25 people are out there at one time. Even this last weekend when it is technically winter, there were a couple out. One rental/ training school is set up at the beach at Kohimarama most days during the summer. Depending on the wind direction, the best places seem to move around but there are lots of good places close to pretty much anywhere in Auckland. Have a look at the map on the page here. All the beaches shown are less than 1 hr from the city centre. http://www.kitesurfauckland.co.nz/ki..._locations.htm

I have also seen a number of kite surfers at other beaches further afield such as Raglan - although this was for advanced surfers only as there were big signs warning of dangerous currents right where they were all zipping back and forth. Looked amazing though.

Hi Millieandme! Thanks for that link - that totally helps especially since it shows beginner/intermediate/advanced areas to go. Sweet as!

There is some kiteboarding going on in Wellington at Seatoun beach and Lyall Bay, always seems quite an adventurous location as it is next stop Cook Strait....

When it comes to rugby, your partner will have no problem finding a team to join. Even in the most rural areas, there are rugby clubs. What I would do is find out which clubs are in the areas you are thinking of moving to and then find out about their various programs. Often, in rural areas like the one we are in, if there aren't enough players for a specific level, a few clubs will combine together to field a team. A lot of clubs do a weekly drop in touch night and that is a good way to scope a club and find out about the different ones in your area. Your partner will have to take what they might say about rival clubs with a grain of salt because they sometimes are fiercely loyal to their club (even if they played on the rival team due to lack of numbers).

My husband recommends checking out a Marist club in your area as they are an organization that is nationwide. http://www.maristrugby.org.nz/clubs.html

If you find a good club, rugby is a wonderful social event that connects you to the wider community.