Thread: Life for Koreans

Default Life for Koreans

Hey everyone, my girlfriend is from South Korea and while searching for which city we should settle in I came across some troubling comments regarding life for Asian immigrants. One of her biggest concerns is the difficulties she may face while job hunting and from what I read it sounded like NZ could be very unwelcoming towards her and it would be especially difficult finding a decent job there.

Can any Koreans currently living in NZ offer some advice?

Thanks

Where did you come across these comments? It's worth considering the source(s), and what those commenting hoped to achieve. If the source is a newspaper report, unfortunately what makes the big headlines and boosts sales is the bad side of things, and there's no way to look up 'Asians having a happy life and good relationships with their neighbours in NZ'.

Quote Originally Posted by 99percentbamboo View Post
    Can any Koreans currently living in NZ offer some advice? Thanks
    I'm not in Korea but have lived here for more than 4 years. I was recently talking to a co-worker with NZ PR but now back in K. She initially when to NZ to study and did an IT degree, and later stayed on (I think 7 years in total, maybe 9) to get her PR. She didn't have any bad stuff to say when I prompted her, though I noted that although her degree was in IT she wasn't able to get work after graduating (and, apparently, IT skills are in demand). After a year of full-time job searching, she ended up working for a Korean agency that aided students coming over to study, like she had. I offered a guess that it had taken so long for her to get her PR because her eventual F-T job wasn't related to her bachelors, and she said I was correct. I can sort of imagine how she wouldn't impress when job searching, as she's pretty withdrawn and not a big communicator, although that might stereotypically be want some IT-types are like.

I asked how Korean students liked NZ and she said 80% were happy there, and the biggest complaint for the remainder was that they found it boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    I'm not in Korea but have lived here for more than 4 years.....
    Whoops, just noticed one of my (frequent) earlier typos: I meant, '... not Korean, but have lived here for more than 4 years...' Sure you got it, though