Thread: Hint of panic...

Default Hint of panic...

It's a week until the movers arrive. We have opted for a 20 ft container but as we get nearer the date we are starting to panic- it still ooks like too much stuff!!

We have loads of books - but I'm loath to get rid of them.

Any suggestions about a) how to stop panicking and b) what items are worth not bringing!

For example : our suite is on its last legs anyway, so I think we will have to buy another in NZ anyway...
    Last edited by Delta_Cephei; 25th July 2012 at 07:29 AM.

Breathe... panicking is normal, and you'll get through. It's amazing what a headless chicken can still accomplish by telling him/herself, 'Just DO it.'

I suggest mentally sorting your belongings into 'the things that must go' and 'the things that it'd be nice to have, too, but...' Then, if push comes to shove, you leave some of the latter. That said, we've seen photos on here before, and the packers are AMAZING - 3D jigsaw puzzle stuff. (I wouldn't want to leave books, either.)

So who did you go for in the end? the last I saw was it was between Crown and PSS. What you need to watch if its PSS is this.
    When we were still in UK neighbours of ours moved to California. PSS said they would need a 20ft. However when it came to it they had about 12 large boxes left over which were items that were needed so they then had to pay PSS to have it shipped seperately. What I am saying is make sure you have stuff left at the end that you can leave behind like the sofa so if it comes to it they will not be missed. Its important to make sure the packers do not load the stuff you could leave behind until the end as once its on it stays on

Trust me I am feeling the same panic too. I keep looking at our house and think is a 20 foot container going to be big enough? I don't think we have a lot of stuff, but obviously we do. Good luck with your move.

Quote Originally Posted by Delta_Cephei View Post
    For example : our suite is on its last legs anyway, so I think we will have to buy another in NZ anyway...
    Furniture is very expensive over here, so you might want to take a quick look on line at NZ websites to see what you get for your $ over here. Even second hand stuff on TradeMe is pricey! Have you got time to nip out and buy a new one before next week????
    So glad we bought our sofa with us. Ditto the white goods.

We had a 'load first' and 'load last' system - things we had to have went on first and then everything else went on afterwards, with things we could live without if necessary loaded very last. We had great fun (?!) slapping big red 'load last' labels on things. As it was everything fitted and we had space to spare(which hacked me off as I'd have filled it had I known!)

I like the sticker idea- will do that!

Ooo... love the sticker idea too. Thanks for the great ideas!

We were given our estimate and told we were at the limits of a 40 ft high cube. We gave away lots of things, including a treadmill that I'd have liked to take with us as we were told if it didn't fit in the end, I'd have to go to the depot myself to pick it up. On the last day, the packers told us there was room for more stuff It's amazing how much they can fit in! I had a list of things they could leave out if there was no space, but didn't need to use that list fortunately.