Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automotive Industry in New Zealand

Default Automotive Industry in New Zealand

Hi everyone,

I've never been to New Zealand, so I don't know if I fit the bill here, but it's my dream to visit this incredible country and maybe even migrate over time, so I've registered on this forum to ask you guys some specific questions.

First off, I'm 22 years old and about to get my Masters degree in Automotive Engineering - Electronics-ICT (basically an engineer in the field of everything that has to do with a car's safety systems, data transmission, alternative fuels, etc...). It's a university degree from Belgium. I was wondering if there are many jobs in this field in New Zealand, and particularly the Nelson Region in the South Island ? And maybe you guys have some idea of the salary that goes with it?

Secondly, I'm planning a trip to New Zealand (mainly the northern part of the South Island) next year. But because I'm still at university, the only time I can really take the time off to travel, is in August/September, so that means winter in the southern hemisphere. Would this be a good time to travel? I don't really need high temperatures, just pleasant weather to drive (or ride the bike) and discover the country.

Thanks.

Hello and welcome.

In my opinion, automative industry in NZ is one of the many industries that puts a lot of emphasis on local NZ experience. My uncle works as an automotive mechanic for 5 years here in NZ (worked on the same job for 10 years overseas) and told me of a colleague who was quite young like yourself with a degree in automotive from a universit overseas. To be qualified, he is now going through apprenticeship of 3 years despite his university qualification. Only after then, he can compete with the experienced ones and I guess can demand for raise or what have you.

This is just one story and I may be wrong though, wish you all the best.

Your degree sounds like it might be on the design side of automotive engineering and my understanding is that there is little in the way of automotive construction in NZ. There are a few high end automotive rebuilders. As far as Nelson goes, Honda NZ main "plant" is here - it used to construct cars but as far as I know is a distribution centre only now. Your field sounds quite specialized and you may get more mileage by googling the likely sorts of employers in NZ and contacting them directly to see if they ever need anyone with your qualifications.

As far as weather in August and September goes, you take your chances (might be good, might not). Most of NZ has a high rainfall, however this is spread evenly over the year. August and September are not that warm (relatively), so any rain that does fall is colder (thinking of the bike) and there will potentially be snow as you get further south. Having said that, we go cycling most weekends with small children (who don't do cycling in the rain) in Nelson. It will also be less busy so accommodation etc will be easier to find, and unless you are unlucky, travelling by car/bike should be possible through most of NZ.

meant to add - overview of NZ's climate with spreadsheets you can download if that way inclined. http://www.niwa.co.nz/education-and-...imate/overview

Quote Originally Posted by alldone View Post
    There are a few high end automotive rebuilders. As far as Nelson goes, Honda NZ main "plant" is here - it used to construct cars but as far as I know is a distribution centre only now.
    Thanks for the great information. I've googled the Honda plant and it is supposedly closed since 1998, so it's now probably a distribution center as you said. Can I ask you, what do you mean by "high end automotive rebuilders"? Do you mean something along the lines of companies building spare parts, or companies modifying stock cars?

I might take a shot at some (chip)tuning/modifying companies, do you know of any of those in that area?

I don't know of any such companies in Nelson but they might exist - try google (google.co.nz lets you restict the search to NZ only). Nelson is a very small city so I would think that type of company is less likely here, but I don't know for sure. The rebuilders I was thinking of are like http://www.beacham-jaguar.co.nz/MARQ...AM+E-TYPE.html but there are other companies/individuals around modifying cars/tuning if that is what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by alldone View Post
    I don't know of any such companies in Nelson but they might exist - try google (google.co.nz lets you restict the search to NZ only). Nelson is a very small city so I would think that type of company is less likely here, but I don't know for sure. The rebuilders I was thinking of are like http://www.beacham-jaguar.co.nz/MARQ...AM+E-TYPE.html but there are other companies/individuals around modifying cars/tuning if that is what you want to do.
    The University degree is was talking about is very similar to this one : http://www.unitec.ac.nz. Only difference is that mine is a Masters degree, but I don't know if Belgium and New Zealand use the same standards of course. They state that finding a job won't be an issue, so I probably shouldn't worry too much.

BTW: those Beachams look really cool !

Quote Originally Posted by nelson_blues View Post
    The University degree is was talking about is very similar to this one : http://www.unitec.ac.nz. Only difference is that mine is a Masters degree, but I don't know if Belgium and New Zealand use the same standards of course. They state that finding a job won't be an issue, so I probably shouldn't worry too much.

BTW: those Beachams look really cool !
    I've also found a university that has this course called "mechatronics". I think that's something very similar to what I'm studying at the moment. Any thoughts on that regarding future employment possibilities? Air New Zealand has a job on offer for a Mechatronics Engineer here: https://careers.airnz.co.nz, and it's pretty much what I wanna do .

BTW: I also just found out that the university I'm in has connections with universities in both Australia and New Zealand. If I get the chance, I'm going to try and get a scholarschip, how cool would that be !?!

That does sound like the sort of degree that there would be jobs for in NZ. Nelson is quite small (although there is a reasonably big aircraft workshop here as they do all the servicing etc for Air New Zealand Link which has all the smaller planes - Nelson has NZ's 4th busiest airport (still not at all big though). I think that engineering is still relatively respected in NZ (compared with the UK where I was before). Good luck with the scholarship - would provide a good change to have a good look around and make some contacts.

Masters degree in NZ usually 5 years (can sometimes be 4) - 3 years undergraduate, 2 years masters most typical - in a science/engineering field would normally have a research component.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast