Thread: 2degrees cell phone coverage

Default 2degrees cell phone coverage

I have been researching cell phone coverage and I am curious if I should bring an unlocked phone from the states. Will an iphone work with the 2degrees prepaid sim card? It will be a new iphone without any data on it, so no need to worry about transferring anything. How easy will it be for me? Do I just stick the new sim card in the phone and it works? How do I go about getting a local phone number?

I am not technology savvy, so any help is great.

Me neither but I have a old iphone which was unlocked and I have a 2degrees sim card. I just have a pay as you go type sim card and buy credit when I run out. I seem to recall it being very simple. You get the phone number with the sim card. If you have an unlocked iphone, definitely bring it.
    I just use mine for emergencies really, so getting $20 credit occasionally does work for me, if you are using it on a regular basis, especially for data usage and using the internet via 3G, this is an expensive way to do it though.
    If you get to a 2degrees shop, they will be able to help you with the best way to do this and I am sure you will get some help from other people on the forum who know lots about different packages!

If you are planning to bring a US model Iphone to NZ, I doubt it will work due to variation of carrier radio frequencies in NZ Vs. US.
    Please check that you buy an Iphone which is unlocked and has compatability with NZ carrier frequencies .

Quote Originally Posted by LVKris View Post
    I have been researching cell phone coverage
    Don't they provide a map on their website?! There are certain areas around where have issues receiving the one or other provider.

Try searching over geekzone

Just as an fyi, my friend who recently moved back to NZ had a US iPhone and got it unlocked and it works perfectly fine in NZ. She is with 2degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by shawankit View Post
    If you are planning to bring a US model Iphone to NZ, I doubt it will work due to variation of carrier radio frequencies in NZ Vs. US.
    Please check that you buy an Iphone which is unlocked and has compatability with NZ carrier frequencies .

Quote Originally Posted by ralf-nz View Post
    Don't they provide a map on their website?! There are certain areas around where have issues receiving the one or other provider.
    I already looked at the map and it showed where there service is provided. That wasn't my question. I wanted to make sure my iphone would work with no hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwihusker View Post
    Just as an fyi, my friend who recently moved back to NZ had a US iPhone and got it unlocked and it works perfectly fine in NZ. She is with 2degrees.
    Thank you.