Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Permanent residency v citizenship

Default Permanent residency v citizenship

So apart from the obvious benefit to obtaining citizenship here (ability to live and work in oz which appeals to some, me included)

What are the obvious benefits to going for citizenship rather than just being happy as a permanent resident?

When we had our PR put in our passports at Manakau immigration, the guy doing it said 'that was it, we were permanent and even if we left for 10 years, as long as we kept our passports up to date and transfered our permits before the passport ran out, we always would be, and could always come back'

Can residency be taken away? Maybe if you were convicted of being a muderer or something I could see it, but apart from that I dont see any real other benefit, anyone?

We are deciding whether to stay on 2 more years to get citizenship, or take up an offer of sponsorship in Oz.

We are getting our citizenship when we are eligible. We really do not have any practical reasons for doing so other than we simply want to be citizens. It is just something that is important to us.

Quote Originally Posted by TJH View Post
    We are getting our citizenship when we are eligible. We really do not have any practical reasons for doing so other than we simply want to be citizens. It is just something that is important to us.
    We will feel the same way once we get there. As there is a ceremony and a declaration, for us becoming citizens will mean giving a public commitment to the country.

You'll be able to run for public office and that is something that has crossed my mind more than once... I would never renounce my nationality of birth, but the one I picked up along the way, very gladly so. I cannot wait to become a Kiwi proper - roll on January next year when we apply!! I think for most people it's a mindset thing. My colleagues have started calling me a Kiwi, but that's more because they've known me for nearly half a decade already.

Got another three years and a couple of weeks before becoming legible for citizenship and I see this and the completion of a process that started with wanting to migrate and filling in the EOI form.

I will apply for citizenship when eligible, partly to match my family (hubby and DD are UK/NZ already, whereas I'm just UK/France) and partly because laws change. Immigration law is no exception, and I don't trust any government to not think about putting some kind of time limit on how long PRs can stay out of the country before losing that status. Visas are too much of a licence to print money.

People from the UK should think long and hard about removing their tax domicile...which is difficult.... if they think their estates would trigger inheritance tax. AFAIK there is no inheritance tax (yet) in NZ. Becoming a citizen helps establish a permanent domicile outside the UK...it's a bit more complicated but it helps. For me it's giving the kids more flexibility. Already UK and US citizens, NZ allows them to work in Australia too. Covers a lot of the world!

Future law changes might revoke permanent citizenships granted under previous laws.

For most of you it is quite easy taking up the NZ citizenship, just add it to the other(s you already have), as long as you fulfil certain criterias. In my instance it generally means to give up my current citizenship unless I can prove major disadvantages for not being a NZ citizen but 'just' a permanent resident, which is rather difficult.

As my country of origin doesn't have an embassy in NZ, I will probably apply when the time comes (provided we're still here), just to avoid having to travel overseas to renew my passport. I just had to go through it in May despite my old passport having another 9 months to go on it as didn't have plans to travel again within that timeframe to anywhere with an embassy, so it all worked out a rather expensive exercise and lots of hassle. I guess it will also be nice to have one matching passport for the family too as DH and DD are Kiwis already.

I plan on applying for NZ citizenship as soon as I'm eligible...in like 5 years. As others have already said:

1.) I feel it's important to make a commitment to one's nation of residence
    2.) currently permanent residents can come and go as they please...but things can change

Although perhaps 4 citizenships are a bit...greedy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast