Thread: Is IELTS Mandatory?

Cool Is IELTS Mandatory?

Hello Guys.
    I am from India. Done my bachelors of science (Computers) from India (Medium of instruction was English).
    I got transcript which also states that Medium of instruction was English while duration of the course.
    Done my master from abroad (Australian Uni course) campus in Singapore. (again Medium of instruction was English through out the course)

So after all this do I still have to give IELTS? or above degrees and transcripts are sufficient enough to support my case.

No, you shouldn't have to provide IELTS, under rule c i quoted below (go to the link to see it properly!).

However, there seem to be quite a few COs who have a knee-jerk reaction to look for an IELTS, and ask for it when they don't find it. In most cases, though, when applicants draw their attention to their cover letter which has explained why they don't need to show one, and to the evidence they've supplied instead, it all works out. Note, though, that INZ actually CAN ask for IELTS after all that, IF they have a reason to do so.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/index.htm Go to Residence » Skilled Migrant Category » SM5 English Language Requirements » SM5.5 Minimum standard of English language for principal applicants.
    SM5.5 Minimum standard of English language for principal applicants

Applications under the Skilled Migrant Category must be declined if the principal applicant has not met the minimum standard of English.
    Principal applicants under the Skilled Migrant Category meet the minimum standard of English if they provide a Test Report Form (no more than 2 years old at the time the application is lodged) from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), showing they achieved an overall band score of at least 6.5 in the IELTS General or Academic Module.
    Notwithstanding (b) above, an immigration officer may, on a case by case basis, consider the following as evidence of the principal applicant meeting the minimum standard of English if:
    they provide evidence that their recognised qualification(s):
    was gained as a result of a course or courses of study in which English was the only medium of instruction; and
    (if that qualification was gained in New Zealand) the qualification had a minimum completion time of at least two years and is at least a bachelor degree or it is a post-graduate qualification and the applicant has an undergraduate qualification that qualifies for points; or
    they have current skilled employment in New Zealand for a period of at least 12 months that qualifies for points (see SM7); or
    they provide other evidence which satisfies an immigration officer that, taking account of that evidence and all the circumstances of the application, they are a competent user of English. These circumstances may include but are not limited to:
    the country in which the applicant currently resides;
    the country(ies) in which the applicant has previously resided;
    the duration of residence in each country;
    whether the applicant speaks any language other than English;
    whether members of the applicant's family speak English;
    whether members of the applicant's family speak any language other than English;
    the nature of the applicant's current or previous employment (if any) and whether that is or was likely to require skill in English language;
    the nature of the applicant's qualifications (if any) and whether the obtaining of those qualifications was likely to require skill in the English language.
    In any case, an immigration officer may require an applicant to provide an IELTS certificate in terms of paragraph (b). In such cases, the IELTS certificate will be used to determine whether the principal applicant* meets the minimum standard of English.
    Note: Full consideration must be given to all evidence of English language ability provided before a decision to request an IELTS certificate under SM5.5 (d) is made. If an IELTS certificate is requested the reason(s) behind the decision must be clearly documented and conveyed to the applicant.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    N Note, though, that INZ actually CAN ask for IELTS after all that, IF they have a reason to do so.
    Depends on CO and branch that is being processed , if your file is at New Delhi Branch then you are most likely to be asked for IELTS .

For the safe side, must appear in IELTS
    CO may asked to appear in IELTS
    With short notice, it may chance to disturb the result

Mine is Shanghai branch for processing.. better give IELTS and be prepared with documents.

Hi,

From my experience I'd say you will be fine without IELTS.
    I had my interview with CO at New Delhi last month, she waived the IELTS requirement for me and my wife based on our interview and the "Medium of Instruction in English" transcript.

Hi Joebeep
    Thanks for the info. Hows ur further processing going along.

No news after the interview on June 25th. Waiting.....