Thread: Renting a flat or house in Wellington

Default Renting a flat or house in Wellington

Hi, me again! Spamming the forum tonight. I have a few questions regarding renting, me and my boyfriend are hoping to get jobs and rent somewhere here in Wellngton, we were just wondering if people could give us an idea of bills included when you rent....is there such a thing as council tax or the equivalent, as renters do you pay water and sewage rates? Sorry for the silly questions just wanted a heads up rather looking silly asking the estate agents lol.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by StacyandPaul View Post
    Hi, me again! Spamming the forum tonight. I have a few questions regarding renting, me and my boyfriend are hoping to get jobs and rent somewhere here in Wellngton, we were just wondering if people could give us an idea of bills included when you rent....is there such a thing as council tax or the equivalent, as renters do you pay water and sewage rates? Sorry for the silly questions just wanted a heads up rather looking silly asking the estate agents lol.

Thank you!
    There's no council tax (sewage rates as well). Tough you might have to pay water charges (depending on rental agreement) and electricity. I'm not sure about Wellington but here in Rodney district we buy "rubbish bags" to waster disposable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    There's no council tax (sewage rates as well). Tough you might have to pay water charges (depending on rental agreement) and electricity. I'm not sure about Wellington but here in Rodney district we buy "rubbish bags" to waster disposable.
    on my second place here, didn't have to pay for water or any taxes etc yet, plenty for electricity though (in winter).
    One place had free/included rubbish bins and free bags for recycle stuff, the other one I have to buy rubbish bags as mentioned above.

Cheers for that what's up with using normal rubbish bags then lol.

You cannot use 'normal' rubbish bags, because rubbish is picked up by the council/ or private companies employed by the council and you pay for the service in buying those bags.

In Wellington you have to buy yellow rubbish bags in packs of 5 from the supermarket, they cost about $10 for 5. These are collected once a week. If you put rubbish out in non-council bags, it just doesn't get collected.
    This is for non-recyclable rubbish. Otherwise you have a green plastic box for your glass which is collected every fortnight. You either get these bins with your property or you have to buy one from the council offices in Wakefield Street.
    For paper, cans and plastic you either have a black wheelie bin which is collected fortnightly or free green plastic bags, depending on how difficult your property is to access.

There you have it, the definitive guide to rubbish collection in Wellington!
    Can't tell you about anything else because we haven't rented in Wellington. Good luck with your search!

Thanks for that lol, very helpful! (no seriously it is just didn't think I'd be talking about rubbish lol)

You would be surprised how much debate it caused in Wellington when they changed the recycling rules. People got very upset!