Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeing a Doctor on a Working Holiday Visa

Default Seeing a Doctor on a Working Holiday Visa

Well i've been in a bit of pain the last few days and think I might need to see a doc if it doesn't go away, does anyone have any experience of needing a doc on a whv? I have no health insurance so relying on our reciprocal agreement, stupid I know, but didn't think I'd be feeling ill. can I just ring a few of the local practices and explain the situation? will it cost me a fortune? Any help would be really appreciative, thanks.

If you aren't well, you need to see a doctor - no point being over there to enjoy yourself and not feeling well.

I think pretty much everyone has to pay to see a doctor over there anyway. My mum used to be over on visitor visa every year and because of health things often had to visit the doctor and it never seemed like an issue. Because of her age and health issues she didn't have health insurance either. If you need any further treatment - not sure on that one. Those on the ground will advise I am sure.

Get well soon

Do you mean you have no travel insurance? If you do, you can claim the doc fee back off that ( keep receipts)
    Last edited by cappuccino; 28th July 2012 at 09:01 PM.

http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...lth-agreements

You have to pay for each GP visit, even as a British passport-holder (but then, so do adult NZers themselves), and for resulting prescriptions and out-patient sessions. Arriving as a casual patient, you'll be charged around $60 - $70, probably, to see the doctor. (If you know somebody local, and they were to phone up and say, 'My visitor is taken ill, so can I make an appointment for him?' it sometimes gets you a cheaper rate than for a total stranger - worked for M seeing d-i-l's GP.)

I don't have travel insurance. The pains still here and I'm thinking about walking into A and E, i've googled prices and it's around 100 dollars for a consultation fee to see a doctor.

Is the pain as a result of an accident (even a slight slip or twist)? If so, you won't have to pay anything as it will be covered by ACC. I'm not sure that you don't have to pay at A&E otherwise, if not an accident victim OR GP referred. (Anybody?)

BUT if you're sick, hang the expense. If you make yourself worse by delaying, that won't help anyone, least of all you, and will end up costing more. Worst case scenario, no pockets in a shroud.

Thanks for your reply, i went to the hospital and they kept me waiting hours and basically i had to give up in the end because they were just putting me at the back on the queue every time someone new came in. Maybe because it wasn't serious or maybe because i'm not a resident, they'd probably rather see people that pay tax eh?
    Well thank god it isn't anything serious it is easing off now, still not sure what it was but gonna keep an eye on it! I'm returning to the UK soon anyway. Thanks again for your help.

Maybe because it wasn't serious or maybe because i'm not a resident, they'd probably rather see people that pay tax eh?
    I doubt this. It will be the same scenario as in any UK A&E, where the clue is in the name. If you go in as the result of an accident or an emergency, so, you've got something fairly drastic, potentially life-threatening or life-changing, happening NOW, you are what that facility is FOR. They sort people, not by arrival time, but by urgency. If someone goes in saying, 'I've had something a bit wrong for the last week,' they don't fit the urgency criteria, so will be given the lowest priority.

I probably earn the reputation of being the rudest of all forumites, but feel the need to get it out- reading this thread I am really wondering why you can't just go and see a GP (or an urgent doctor, which probably every town has to offer) and pay the fee, which might be around $ 100 if there is something wrong? If you can afford to buy the latest *forgot the name of the series* on DVD, you can surely afford to look after your health?

Yes I rang a few doctors they told me to go to the walk in clinic...doh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast