Thread: Work Permit then PR or PR directly?

Default Work Permit then PR or PR directly?

Hi all,

I have been following this forum for a couple of weeks and would like to thank you guys for the efforts you are doing for those immigrating to New Zealand. I decided to register and see if anyone can provide an answer to my question below:

I am an Egyptian (hence the name ) and I am seriously considering migrating to New Zealand. I have reviewed the official NZ immigration website and I am familiar with the different options for migration. My specific problem is that my qualifications are not related to my work experience. I have more than 13 years in IT industry, however my degree is in Accounting (Bachelors degree in Accounting). I have two options to get to New Zealand and each one of them has its pros and cons.

First Option:
    1. Wait to get a permanent job offer.
    2. Apply for a work permit visa.
    3. Get to New Zealand and after sometime apply for Permanent Residency.

Pros:
    1. The fastest way to get into New Zealand seeing my skills are in the shortage list.
    2. It is more convenient to know that I already have a job before I even go to New Zealand.

Cons:
    1. It will take more time to apply for Permanent Residency and citizenship afterwards. ===>>> Does anyone know how soon one could apply to PR after he/she has been working for in New Zealand?
    2. It would cost more (I think).

Second Option:
    1. Apply for Skilled Migrant category (not sure how this will go since my qualifications are different than my job experience).
    2. Get to New Zealand and start looking for a job.

Pros:
    1. I will be getting Permanent Residency sooner than the first option.
    2. It should cost less (I think).

Cons:
    1. I may end up not beeing selected as a skilled migrant since I don't meet the qualifications requirement.

What do you guys think I'd better do? I am currently still in Egypt and I am already contacting recruitement agencies in NZ. Obviously, I am being told that it should be much better if I am already in New Zealand, but again, I am not sure how my EOI points will be calculated, and I may end up being declined skilled migrant visa that way.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Pharaoh4nz

Hello and welcome.

I'm sorry this is going to be depressing. Before you go any further with your planning, you had better look at the long term skill shortage list, and the qualifications and/or work experience that are required before anyone can put themselves forward under each. Find your own specific work, and what it takes. As far as I know, these requirements are absolute, for getting either Residence under the Skilled Migrant Scheme, or a work visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/ Go to Appendices » Appendix 4 - Long Term Skill Shortage List.

Hi pharaoh4nz,
    Welcome!!!

As far as I know; if you are in NZ on workpermit; you can apply for residency anytime once you get a job offer. I'm not sure though about minimum duration of employment offer in order for you yo apply for Residency.

Did you try to go through points calculator for SMC? if not, give a try and see if you are getting 100 or more points withought considering your degree. For english standards you can always give IELTS results (if required).

Good luck.. I'm sure you'll get more responses from experienced members here...

Hi,
    Thanks JandM and sribhat. I did check the EOI points indicator. Here's how I answer the relevant questions:

Skilled Employment

Are you now in ongoing skilled employment in New Zealand and have been so for 12 months or longer? NO
    Are you now in ongoing skilled employment in New Zealand but that employment has been for less than 12 months? NO
    Do you have an offer of skilled employment in New Zealand? YES (In case I am successful in getting a job offer)
    Is your work, or offer of employment, in any one of New Zealand's:
    identified future growth areas? NO
    areas of absolute skills shortage? YES (I am a database administrator and this job is in the absolute skill shortage)

And for the Qualifications part, I answer all questions as NO (since my qualifications are not in IT - Although Accounting is still regarded as an absolute skill shortage).

Is the above correct?

Thanks much,
    Pharaoh4nz.

I think there may be obstacles in the way of having a job offer accepted by INZ as being worth points, because you don't have a qualification specific to your career. Have a look at the fine print governing this. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/i6954.htm Go to Residence » Skilled Migrant Category » SM7 Skilled employment » SM7.10 Skilled Employment.

Quote Originally Posted by pharaoh4nz View Post
    Hi,
    Thanks JandM and sribhat. I did check the EOI points indicator. Here's how I answer the relevant questions:

Skilled Employment

Are you now in ongoing skilled employment in New Zealand and have been so for 12 months or longer? NO
    Are you now in ongoing skilled employment in New Zealand but that employment has been for less than 12 months? NO
    Do you have an offer of skilled employment in New Zealand? YES (In case I am successful in getting a job offer)
    Is your work, or offer of employment, in any one of New Zealand's:
    identified future growth areas? NO
    areas of absolute skills shortage? YES (I am a database administrator and this job is in the absolute skill shortage)

And for the Qualifications part, I answer all questions as NO (since my qualifications are not in IT - Although Accounting is still regarded as an absolute skill shortage).

Is the above correct?

Thanks much,
    Pharaoh4nz.
    Hi there

I'm Egyptian also and I'm working in my SMC since two years now, so I can confirm to you that getting a Job offer while you outside NZ is really difficult.
    so before going much further in your planning you better check the market there and send a couple of CVs to companies working in your field to get better Idea about your chances.

Welcome on board from egypt i am afraid getting job offer from overseas is really difficult as everyone saying. i think you need to focus on how to translate your qualifications and experience years in IT into points in EOI. if you reached 140, then i advice you to apply for Resident visa, and when granted JSV or RV you can search again for jobs from oversease but you will state that you have a visa and need to schedule interviews to attend. good luck my friend.