Thread: Working holiday visas, work permits and residency headche!

Default Working holiday visas, work permits and residency headche!

Firstly, apologies if my query has been covered comprehansively elsewhere but having trawled through the threads on here and looked at the NZ immigration sites, I am still really quite confused about what I'm about to embark on. Quite honestly, I'm a little bit jittery that perhaps I need to do more before we set off in October. Maybe I just need someone who has already been through this to point me in the right direction...

I am a UK based staff nurse with post registration experience of more than 2 years. I have registered with the NZ nursing council with the intention of emigrating to New Zealand. Having never been there, my partner and I have obtained working holiday visas so that we can have a few months to travel the country before deciding where to settle and look for work. I am already in touch with a healthcare recruitment company who will help me find work and switch onto a work to residence visa once I have a job offer in place. For me at least, things seem relatively straightforward.

My partner is an accountant - he does not have a job offer and having not completed his full CIMA qualifications, is not on the skills shortage list. As his WHV will cover him for any type of employment for our first 12 months, we are not too worried that he finds his dream accounting job straight away. However, we have started to think about what will happen after 12 months when he is no longer permitted to work in NZ. Has he got a good chance of finding work with an accredited employer to enable him to get a work permit? As we will have lived together for 18 months by this point, will he be able to stay on my visa? Obviously, th worst case scenario is that he will not be permitted to work in NZ after 12 months, in which case we may have to re-evaluate our plans for the future.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but if you have obtained a work to residence visa can you not include him in that visa application as a partner if you can prove you have lived together for over 12months?

Yes, that's nearly right. Don't worry! When you can prove partnership (that is, live-in relationship), whichever of you qualifies for a visa can sponsor the other one for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa, matching for length of time. Here are all the details. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm You can send in the two applications at the same time, linked by a covering letter, and the official will normally work them at the same time, putting in things that you don't know ahead of time (such as your visa details) as they become available.

And once you get a get a job offer, it may be in your better interests to apply directly for Residence under the Skilled Migrant Scheme (rather than Work to Residence). If you do that, you can include your partner as secondary applicant.

Thanks for this guys - really appreciate it!

Apparently Ernst and Young are desperate for accountants to come over to Christchurch!. My partner and I came over on WHV and we got jobs in our professions, teaching and architecture, with some ease probably due to the earthquake. We are now applying for a work permit and I am applying on my partners as he has secured permanent employment. Don't know if this helps