Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Character Reference needed??

Default Character Reference needed??

Hi All,

I have a quick question in regards to placing a character reference, even though on my ITA checklist there is not one requested? In the ITA letter it has stated that a character waiver may be given.

Regards

In most cases, an applicant's good character is shown by the absence of any problems with their police certificate(s). If someone has any convictions in the past, that person may need to provide a character reference from someone who knows them NOW, able to say that they have turned over a new leaf, while asking for a character waiver.

All this is detailed in the INZ operational manual. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/ Go to Administration » A5 Character requirements.

Thank you, JandM for that answer. My police certificate will show a conviction in 2004, so i recon they will request a character reference.

It depends on the actual conviction. See Section A5.20.

I have just recieved a email from my Immigartion Officer stating "any comments or further information in regards to my and my wifes character must be sent by 20/11/2012". To that end I believe this meaning providing character references, has anyone been in this suitation before and can they please give me some advice?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Luke

If you do a search of the forum, there are old threads (quite a few) mentioning this.

It boils down to writing a letter (a grovel, really), talking about the circumstances of how you came to do whatever you did, acknowledging how wrong you were, mentioning any surrounding circumstances which could help (such as 'I was young and I realize now I was in bad company', or, 'I was worried about my mother whom I was driving to hospital, so I lost my temper when the other driver cut in'), and how you have changed your nature since then and never done anything else like it since. You then need to find several people who know you who are pillars of society who will say the same sort of thing about you - 'I am his child's head teacher, and, though I know he was not always like this, NOW he can always be relied upon to help with community projects' kind of thing.

JandM,

I do apprieate your reply, will sort these details out and keep my fingers crossed. I am sorry that it is frustrating that you hear the same questions, but searching through the other threads they do not relate to me, I think it is good to bring up older post as it may relate to someone else. And how can I participate in this forum unless there are new people like myself that ask questions. JandM I understand that it may upset you, however you must understand where I am coming from and that if I do not ask the questions the forum just turns into a search tool and not a forum?

Regards,

Luke

You're mistaking what I meant by suggesting looking at the old threads. I've answered you, not suggested you should use Search INSTEAD of a personal answer. I just felt that seeing other people's stories might reassure you that you're not the only person who's ever had to go down this road.

JandM,

I do understand where you are coming from, I do use the search function most times. In regards to my question, I really appreciate your answers and time taken to read my post.

Regards,

Luke

All,

Just compiling some character references now and I have now completed my Character Waiver letter for both me and my wife, so fingers crossed when I send it all off next week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast