Thread: Taking boxes

Default Taking boxes

Hi all, when we eventually get everything sorted out to move over, i want to bring with me all the original product boxes for my photographic equipment. The equipment will be going with me in hand luggage but i want to bring over all the original packaging in the container (cos i'm odd like that) will this be ok, or will the kiwis try to charge GST on my kit becsuae i have the boxes?

cheers

Russ

I was told that customs would be able to check serial numbers to determine whether GST needed to be paid or not.

Hello and welcome.

If you haven't got the original receipts to show when you bought the gear, maybe it shows up in your bank account or credit card account details?

Also, how old it is? Maybe there are newer models available now, or the slightest bit of wear and tear, for circumstantial evidence.

I can't imagine it would cause any problems, afterall, you don't even need to declare the empty boxes in your customs forms. And even if they ended up spot checking your container, what could they possibly say about empty boxes?

Unlikely that empty boxes would cause a problem in the container, they don't check every single thing in the container. And you can just use the boxes to put things in inside the packing boxes.

No problem - the only criteria (if you meet the tax free import criteria in terms of residence) are that the items must be pre-owned and used. They won't care if you bring empty boxes (as that will imply that you have used the items that were in them!). We brought some unused food (cans/drinking chocolate etc that we had left in the cupboard) and I declared it to customs as it was unused - they took it off the list to pay GST on (we paid only on a kids bike that was still packed in its original box and if I had unpacked it I'm sure they would have just let it by ...). We had a random customs check as well as MAF so over half of our boxes were opened and checked.

Quote Originally Posted by alldone View Post
    No problem - the only criteria (if you meet the tax free import criteria in terms of residence) are that the items must be pre-owned and used.
    Don't the items have to be over a year old to qualify for free import? But in any case, the boxes in themselves shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by RejjieM View Post
    Don't the items have to be over a year old to qualify for free import? But in any case, the boxes in themselves shouldn't be a problem.
    AFAIK they don't. The form you fill in http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate...s/default.aspx see NZCS 218 to the right of the screen only asks if you have unused items, or new goods. There is a time of ownership requirement for vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by alldone View Post
    AFAIK they don't. The form you fill in http://www.customs.govt.nz/inprivate...s/default.aspx see NZCS 218 to the right of the screen only asks if you have unused items, or new goods. There is a time of ownership requirement for vehicles.
    I'm not sure how they decide this. It seems strange that you should have to pay for a bike that you intended to use personally. I brought over heaps of nappies that were obviously new, declared them as new and didn't get charged. Charging you for your kid's bike seems to be outside the intent of the law. I wonder if different ports have different standards of practice even though MAF is a separate entity. Everything seemed quite casual in the Port of Nelson compared to some of the crazy stories I've heard here. Oh well, what can you do but smile and say, please let my entire life's worth of stuff into your nation?