Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving in 2 months where to start?

Default Moving in 2 months where to start?

hello I haven't posted for a while but really need some help and advice.

My husband just got back from a recce trip to Auckland and has returned with a job offer -he told them when in the interview that he would be able to move within 2 months. We now have to put our house on the market and pray that it sells within that time or worst case scenario rent it out (this wouldn't be great as rent would only cover the mortgage on an interest only basis). I know we also need to look into movers and book flights but what else should I be thinking about? We have two young children so will have to give notice to their school and what do we do about bank accounts? Keep them going here til we get set up over there? Also we have a cat and I'm unsure if we should take her as I'm worried it's not fair on her to travel that far -would we be better leaving her with a relative -any cat owners out there I'd appreciate your thoughts...

Sorry I know I'm ranting, it just feels like a whirlwind and I want to make sure we're doing everything we need to -we have about 10K saved to make the move but it feels like that will only just cover things....arrrghhh! Excited though!

Great news! That is wonderful that at least you have one hurdle done...a job offer. So, take a breath and do a little happy dance. And then sit down and start your to-do list. Contact a couple moving companies to get quotes, start to look through your stuff in your home and clean out what you don't want to move, contact an estate agent and see what the likelihood is to get your house on the market soon and what you would need to do to make that happen. You might want to look into opening a bank account in NZ so that at some point you could transfer money down. We are keeping a bank account in the US and one in NZ. That is just because I am still working for a US company and we will be renting our home for awhile here in the US. If you check on the forum there are check lists on here, so you might do a little search. Best of luck to you all and Congrats on your husband's job.

First of all congratulations on the job offer.
    I assume that you have your visas sorted out so the first thing is to get your house on the market.
    Contact at least 3 different removal companies to get proposals about removal costs. Relocation costs can be available so make sure your husband has explored that possibility with the company.
    Bank account - you can set one up in advance in New Zealand before you move. Keep your UK one though, very handy for buying stuff online etc.
    Cat - there are many people who bring cats and they generally seem to travel with no problems. Our cat was already quite 13 when we moved but she was fine. Contact a pet removal company such as Golden Arrow to find out costs and also more importantly the veterinary requirements.
    And start looking at the flight prices!
    Good luck with your plans. It all works out in the end!

Congratulations, and don't worry - the whirlwind feeling is natural. ((()))

Congratulations!

Assume he'll go for a work-to-residence visa and you for an accompanying partner working visa? That'll be much faster than full SMC (skilled migrant category), which takes weeks or months rather than days.

1. Get you medical booked
    2. Get your police certificate(s) ordered
    3. Identify all the documentation required for his visa application so he can submit things quickly.

Congratulations on the job offer.

Congrats !!! .

We started in a small way and prepared checklist as & when things came into our mind - finally this worked :-)

Great news for you all.

An assumption that you have all of your visas in progress or in place already?? If not then WTR could take a little while. This could be speeded up if his employer is accredited.. Just removes the need for some checks, like qualifications etc.

Certainly get your husband to see if any relocation is offered by his new employer. As others have said you can open bank accounts in advance and just go into a local branch when you arrive to activate it and get your cards. Keep your UK account. Good for a host of reasons.

Have you thought about locations in Auckland to live, especially with 2 young children at school? There are plenty of good guides available to help with this. Use Trademe as a good source of informtion on prices (both rent and buy). Most agents advertise on it. We were only in Auckland for 3 months before moving to the Northland, so others may have more to comment on the different area's.

Shipping-wise, we used Britannia and were very pleased, at both ends. Contentious subject though as others haven't been so lucky.. Go with who you feel most comfortable with and who have a good presence in NZ.

We brought our Cat and Dog and both did very well on the journey (we used Golden Arrow). However we did wait until we were settled before brining them across. If you are renting a lot of people don't allow animals, but cat's are quite often 'accepted'. So just be sure to find out and don't assume it will be ok.

I am sure you will get a lot more replies, so good luck..

Thanks everyone -we already have residency and I've just sent the passports to get our blue stickers so thankfully that part is sorted. We're wondering whether to ask about some help with relocation -has anyone else done that and did you have any joy? Even just the cost of a flight would be a huge help at the moment. House is going on the market next week and my husband has to decide on the job offer by the end of this week though we're still waiting to hear about a competing offer. Fingers crossed. Thanks for all the advice keep it coming!

Congratulations on the job offer and good luck with the move.
    Quote Originally Posted by VickiK View Post
    We're wondering whether to ask about some help with relocation -has anyone else done that and did you have any joy?
    It is worth a try to ask with the employer to assist with relocation. Most of our forumites has done this before and many got assistance on relocation. When we relocated, my employer helped us by taking a major share on shipping our belongings and airfare for both of us. We didnt even ask though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast