Thread: Company Struck Off

Default Company Struck Off

My manager is leaving tomorrow, and handed off a number of matters to me in preparation for his exit. Most are just routine, but one was a bit of an eye-opener -- it's an invoice that he's apparently just been too busy to get to (for four months), and wants me to get paid.

The invoice is from a business that last filed an annual report with the Companies Office in 2006, and has since been struck off. The invoice includes GST, but no GST#, and is for services under a protected professional title; I know for a fact that the individual concerned is not professionally registered. It gets better, too -- the person next up the chain in the approval process within our company has an undisclosed business relationship with the individual who presented the invoice.

(There's more, as well, but that'll do for now).

OK, so I'm not about to approve the invoice, even though the service was actually provided. I feel bad for the supplier, sort of -- he'll get stiffed -- but he should have set up properly if he wanted to protect himself. I'm curious, though, whether I have any legal obligation to take this further -- anyone encounter something similar before? I'm not about to commit professional suicide within a small industry (and country) by making more of this than I have to, but am equally unwilling to leave myself open to consequences by doing less than I must.

Thanks.

That's a really tough one!

I would think you should ask for legal advice. In many areas it is even often for free by legal advice bureaus where law students provide this under supervision of experienced lawyers.

Else a 'proper' lawyer; considering the implications and possible - negative - outcome that is money well spent

Eeek! I'd go seek advice too.. that sounds very dodgy..