Thread: Salary package query

Default Salary package query

Hi my hubby's just been offered a good job in Auckland with a really good salary. My query is should he be asking about them paying into KiwiSaver or anything similar? We're planning to ask for relocation costs but we're unclear what else we should be asking for?

thanks

Hi,
    Depending on work type - Management / Sales / senior level you may request the following extra (worth a try)
    KiwiSaver (default currently is 2%) you can ask4% -but you have to contribute 4% as well
    Medical Insurance for self- Free + Family (free or subsidised)
    Car park subsidy (if working in city area)
    Mobile Phone + monthly mobile subsidy/cost (if not provided already)
    Some company provide default Group life insurance package free (check with employer)
    Paid training for alteast 2 days in your work /interest area per year
    By default you get 20 days earned yearly leave & 6 days sick leave - you can negociate for additional days.

As much as you can. Carpe diem - it's now or never.
    Also, help with initial accommodation.
    Good luck and congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by shawankit View Post
    Hi,
    Depending on work type - Management / Sales / senior level you may request the following extra (worth a try)
    KiwiSaver (default currently is 2%) you can ask4% -but you have to contribute 4% as well
    Some company provide default Group life insurance package free (check with employer)
    By default you get 20 days earned yearly leave & 6 days sick leave - you can negociate for additional days.

Thanks for this -he's currently been offered a car parking space, iphone and laptop but I think we'll definitely ask re kiwisaver and relocation costs.

Great to know what's possible and as you've all said if you don't ask you don't get!

Quote Originally Posted by VickiK View Post
    I think we'll definitely ask re kiwisaver and relocation costs.
    Great to know what's possible and as you've all said if you don't ask you don't get!
    Yes, negotiate on the relocation cost (some companies offer anywhere between $5k - $10K+) possibly by signing 1 or 2 year contract in addition to employment terms, health insurance for self & family, no. of annual and sick leaves are fixed depending on company policy (ex-employer had 7 days and current employer offer 10 days), also check for flexi component of the salary & bonus, subsidies for mobile, fixed line and broadband. Depending on the line of business of the employer your OH can negotiate much more - no harm in asking
    Last edited by Sun777; 5th August 2012 at 09:15 PM.

Manks is offline Serial procrastinator and general busybody

Quote Originally Posted by shawankit View Post
    Hi,
    Most of these things will be set in company policy and non-negotiable, i.e. they are unlikely to do anything special for you. Kiwi organisations are generally less generous in the "perks and benefits" department than in other countries. And it is the land of the SME, so there are very few larger organisations that will offer benefits. In my first job, in a very small company, there was nothing really offered, although my boss did regularly buy lunches or take us out for the occasional game of golf. But nothing official.

If I were you, I'd simply ask what benefits are offered by the company, otherwise you may come across as demanding.

Employers have to contribute to Kiwisaver by law. I think the minimum employer contributions have reduced to 1% now, but some may pay more. It is worth asking what their Kiwisaver/superannuation arrangements are. E.g. my first job only paid the minimum (it was 2% at the time) into my KS. My current job has a superannuation programme and pays $1.50 for every $1 you pay in, up to 9% of your salary. This also then contributes to a death-in-service benefit, whereas my previous job didn't have anything.

My current employer receives a discount through Southern Cross health insurance but doesn't subsidise it. However hubby's employer subsidises, so we took out insurance through his work.