Thread: Family Category Visa processing time

Default Family Category Visa processing time

Hi all!

My wife (a Kiwi living in the UK for the last 30 years) is starting a job in CHCH in October, at fairly short notice, and I'm in the midst of sorting everything out. Looks like we're at the stage of getting in my resident's visa app in the next day or two - all medicals, police checks passed, no lack of proof of our marital status etc. Would anyone like to hazard a guess at how long might it take to process my visa application if there is no reason for it not to be approved?

Also, if I'm sending my passport and birth certificate with my application, can I expect to get them back in reasonable time?

Thanks!

Si
    Last edited by Drains; 6th August 2012 at 06:52 AM.

I sent my passport initially, they sent it back 2 days later and I had to send it in again (2 weeks later) to get the visa. You can see my timeline in my signature was about 3 weeks, but, I applied off peak through Washington, D.C., otherwise the suggestion is 3-6 months.

I also applied through the Washington DC office. I sent my app on March 26 and I received an email on May 24th stating that I was approved in principle. I also sent all of those documents and they held onto my passport until I sent in my money for the migrant levy. After I paid that, then I received all of my documents in about 2 weeks. When I talked to the immigration consultant before I paid the levy he said they could mail me my passport if I needed it before they are finished with my approval.

If you have all of your papers organized and passed all of the meds and background check than you should be fine. Just make sure you have all of the paperwork you need.

I applied through the London office which I guess you will be too if you're in Leith, earlier this year. My timeline has the details but I think it took no more than 3 weeks to get approval and that was with me not filling in a page of the application properly and having to resubmit. It took me a while longer to get my visa in my passport but that was because I needed it for a trip so didn't send it originally (I sent a certified copy) and then when I got approval had to send it off etc. When it's approved remember to pay your migrant levy promptly as they won't put the sticker in until you've paid!

They do say it's up to 3 months processing time (not what you want to hear right now), but as I said mine was quicker and if you haven't heard after a month you can always tell them about the job and can they try and hurry it up a little. I found them to be really helpful and lovely at the London office, replying to my emails promptly etc. In fact I was so impressed I sent a letter in telling them how good my CO was!

Laura

Thanks folks, that's put my mind at rest.
    Laura, I was going to include a copy of my wife's job offer with my application so hopefully that will persuade them to expedite the thing.
    Cheers!
    Si
    Last edited by Drains; 8th August 2012 at 01:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Well folks, my application was received on the 9th August; here we are at the 28th of August and even after having to send in a wee bit more documentation, my visa's been approved! Wahey!

Awesome! Congratulations.

Nice work!