Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making My List - Checking It Twice

Default Making My List - Checking It Twice

Hi everyone!

Over the past few months, I've been gathering information from different blogs, forums and articles on what other expats wish they brought over in their shipping container. Some notables were:
    • socks
    • shower curtains
    • furniture
    • beddings
    • towels
    • batteries
    • salad spinner
    • carpets
    • ibuprofen
    • undies
    • feminine things
    • pet things
    • favorite shampoo/conditioner/body soap
    • deodorant
    • razor blades
    • U.S. king sized bed sheets
    • washer/dryer - but coming from the US, I just want to avoid the whole electricity conversion
    • Dyson vacuum - same issue with the electricity conversion

Now I'm in a pickle. I'm having difficulty sorting through the "nice to haves" and the "must haves". We aren't brand-dedicated folks and are flexible with trying out new products, so I'm not worried about the shampoo/conditioner/soap/deodorants.

For those of you already in NZ, especially who moved from the USA, what would be on your "must have" list?

Everything is available here, except perhaps the correct sized bed linen. It's more a case of saving money if you buy stuff and bring it with you. And sooner or later you'll run out of the things you brought so you have to buy local brands anyway. I know when we order the occasional thing online or buy things on my husband's overseas trips, it is purely and simply to save money. It's all here, just more expensive. And it wouldn't be as exciting or interesting if everything in the shops was identical. And some local products are actually really good, such as Trilogy skincare products.

Hi girlwithanewf! Sounds like I'm worrying for nothing then - thanks!

Put sunscreen on your list. You'll need it - and it's twice the price in NZ. Also if you're going to be renting for a while, buy some rolls of window screening so that you can jury-rig some window screens. NZ homes are seldom screened and yes, there are flies and mozzies. If you're buying a home, it'll cost about $100 a window for custom screens.

Prices in NZ are outrageous for some things - but overall, it's not bad if you are a careful shopper. Less for property and car insurance - more for electricity, less for fresh veggies in season and more for restaurant meals or convenience foods. So you adjust - and you really don't need a bottle of diet coke at $3.80 anyway! Besides, you won't be paying a leg and half an arm for medical care and health insurance.

If you are moving to Wellington, the flies and insects are not an issue. They haven't been for us at least, too windy probably. I don't know anyone with window screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Moustache View Post
    [*]Dyson vacuum - same issue with the electricity conversion
    Just a matter of caution on that one, get the filter cleaned. Our shipper specifically mentioned to get the dust filter cleaned as that was one of the favorites with bio-security

Is there a store in NZ that sells in warehouse bulk? I'm trying to see if there's a Costco equivalent.

No Costco equivalent in NZ where you buy in bulk, but Warehouse has pretty good prices on household stuff.

Bring a couple of ice-chests or 'chilly bins' as they're called in NZ. You'll pay NZ$80 or more for a decent one that you can get for US$25 in the U.S.

I brought a big ole US king sized bed over with me, a super-king size here. Not only was it more awkward to find appropriate linen, but I had a few problems finding a house with a big enough master bedroom to fit the stuff into! With hubby #2 we are now more than comfy in an NZ queen sized bed.

Clothes & shoes - all are more expensive here, but it does make you look after your clothes better. Definitely leather shoes, lots of them! I didn't bring anything that had to be plugged in, bought all new here. If you have electrical problems due to using a step-up / step-down transformer to use goods made for a different voltage and problems are caused, you could find it invalidates your house insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dell View Post
    Bring a couple of ice-chests or 'chilly bins' as they're called in NZ. You'll pay NZ$80 or more for a decent one that you can get for US$25 in the U.S.
    Maybe if you buy them from a top-notch camping shop, but not if you get them from The Warehouse...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast