Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cost of living and expected salary

Default cost of living and expected salary

I have been interviewed by an auckland university for lecturer's position. What should be the expected salary package?

I have a family of four, myself my wife and two little kids 4 and 1. How much expenses can i expect for a decent living(housing,kids education,transporttion,entertainment)?

What are the hidden costs of living in Auckland, taxes?

I am total naive to this country and every little information would be greatly appreciated.

Kris

There are many threads in this forum about cost of living, where to live in Auckland etc.
    Just do a bit of research and then ask specific questions if there are any left. I have no idea about the salary part, but surely there must have been indications at least from the job advertisement?

*sigh*...is it just me or do people tend to make it very easy for themselves by coming on here and asking the same questions over and over again? I know the forum members are here to help and everyone is extremely patient and helpful, too, but it seems to me that a lot of questions could be easily answered by a little initiative and research of the person asking.
    Sorry for that.., rant over

Hello and welcome.

The Search box (top right) will help find topics relevant for you.

Hi,

Have you looked on the university website for a salary range? If not posted, you can enquire of the human resources office. A lot will depend on what level they bring you in at. A family living on one income is usually somewhat more tight budget-wise than 2 incomes, so I would not expect you to be able to afford a lavish lifestyle if you are bringing over no capitol to invest in a house and are going to live in the largest and most expensive New Zealand city on one income. That being said, I think you could make it on one salary if you were willing to live in a less expensive area and keep your entertainment costs down. Lots of free things to do with kids in NZ, for example the beach. Taxes here are called rates, and house listings include how much rates are for that house. Renters don't worry about them because the landlord pays.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
    Hi,

Have you looked on the university website for a salary range? If not posted, you can enquire of the human resources office. A lot will depend on what level they bring you in at. A family living on one income is usually somewhat more tight budget-wise than 2 incomes, so I would not expect you to be able to afford a lavish lifestyle if you are bringing over no capitol to invest in a house and are going to live in the largest and most expensive New Zealand city on one income. That being said, I think you could make it on one salary if you were willing to live in a less expensive area and keep your entertainment costs down. Lots of free things to do with kids in NZ, for example the beach. Taxes here are called rates, and house listings include how much rates are for that house. Renters don't worry about them because the landlord pays.

Good luck!
    Tigerlily,Thanks a lot for the information. I have PhD from university with good world ranking. I have 4.5yrs work experience, 3 years teaching. I could not get expected salary for academics. I do not have big savings to carry and invest in NZ property. I am just wondering how much should i expect. We are not lavish spenders. However, i would also not like to thinking of saving a slice of bread for cost cutting. Rarely eating out family.

Hi Krismaniac,

Would you care to share your academic domain etc? Have you published papers/journal articles; what kind of research profile have you got? You only mention 'experience'. But based on the feedback of other experienced forumites, it seems research is of paramount importance in uni recruitment decisions; teaching comes secondary. What kind of interview questions did you face? Thanks.

G

Each university has what is called a collective agreement and this gives details of salaries and terms and conditions. Just google teu.ac.nz. It's there somewhere. You would probably start somewhere around $70,000 for a lectureship.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandhara View Post
    Hi Krismaniac,

Would you care to share your academic domain etc? Have you published papers/journal articles; what kind of research profile have you got? You only mention 'experience'. But based on the feedback of other experienced forumites, it seems research is of paramount importance in uni recruitment decisions; teaching comes secondary. What kind of interview questions did you face? Thanks.

G
    hi Gandhara,
    I had a skype video interview fo llowed by presentation at the university in NZ.i did not face any tough questions,mostly fundamentals.my domain is engineering.i do have a good research publications,not many but more than one can count in fingers.all my publications are in tier 1journals and conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    Each university has what is called a collective agreement and this gives details of salaries and terms and conditions. Just google teu.ac.nz. It's there somewhere. You would probably start somewhere around $70,000 for a lectureship.
    Thank you very much. I found the details.

Another potential soon-to-be-NZ-academic in here. Welcome!

I accepted an offer at Auckland several months ago and the TEU site was invaluable. Made negotiations rather straightforward. Auckland has a central appointments committee that will assess your c.v. and decide at what grade you can come in--not much you can do about it if you don't like it. But the "allowances" are really just extra salary, and there's scope to negotiate a bit there. Other things like relocation packages are the same regardless: one way flights, one 20' container for singles or couples (40' for families with children), 21 nights accommodation in an apartment-style hotel for your first few weeks.

Another consideration: what kind of migrant visa. The uni will officially only help with Work to Residence. I'm not willing to move all the way to NZ on a work visa so I elected to apply for Skilled Migrant Category residency. It took longer (7 versions 2 weeks), but it saves me having to apply all over again a few months or years later. There's an in-house immigration consultant, but I didn't use them: if you do you're giving that consultant the right to share all your info with the university, which I found unacceptable.

What department/faculty/campus?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast