Thread: Essential Skills Duration

Default Essential Skills Duration

Although I currently have a 12 month WHV and am eligible to start work in NZ, I would like to apply for a longer term VISA that would cover my entire post-doctoral position (2-3 years) at University of Canterbury.

I am looking to apply for the Essential Skills VISA, and due to my job being on the ISSL, would be eligible for a VISA with a duration of up to 5 years. Although my job will be for a minimum of 2 years (with a possibility of a 3rd if/when research funding comes through), my official job contract from UC is only for 1 year.

Even though I will be in New Zealand for a minimum of 2 years, my contract does not reflect this. Will my visa be issued for the duration of the contract or will it be based on another criteria? Would I be able to explain my situation to Immigration?

I would like to get a VISA that is good for at least 24 months in order to be eligible for public healthcare if at all possible, and just trying to figure out my options.

Cheers!

In the light of the following, it looks as though you'd better talk to the university to see if you can get your contract changed - !

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/ Temporary entry class visa » Work visas » WK Essential Skills work instructions » WK2 Applications under Essential Skills work instructions » WK2.20 Instructions on duration of Essential Skills work visas.

WK2.20 Instructions on duration of Essential Skills work visas

If an applicant meets the requirements for work visas set out for applications under Essential Skills work instructions (see WK2.5) then unless there are any special directions to the contrary, a work visa may be granted for the period for which employment is offered, up to a maximum of 3 years.
    There is no limit on how many further work visas may be granted. Further work visas may be granted for the period for which further employment is offered, up to a maximum of 3 years each time, if for each period of employment the applicant still meets the requirements for applications based on offers of employment as set out in WK2.5.
    Despite (a) above, if an applicant meets the requirements for work visa applications under Essential Skills work instructions (see WK2.5) based on an offer of employment which:
    is for an ANZSCO Skill Level 1 occupation; and
    offers a minimum base salary equal to at least that of the highest threshold stated in Residence from Work (Accredited Employer) instructions (currently $55,000 per annum, see RW2)
    then a one-off work visa may be granted for the period for which employment is offered, up to a maximum of 5 years.

Note: Where an employee is to work more than 40 hours per week, the minimum base salary must be calculated on the basis of 40 hours work per week.
    Note: For the avoidance of doubt, the minimum base salary excludes employment related allowances (for example overtime, tool or uniform allowances, medical insurance, accommodation).
    Despite (a) above, if an applicant meets the requirements for work visa applications under Essential Skills work instructions (see WK2.5) based on an offer of employment which is for an ANZSCO Skill Level 4 or 5 occupation, a work visa may be granted up to a maximum of one year.

Thanks for finding that, JandM! I had searched all over without finding those specifics...

But, yes, it does appear that I'll have a bit of a problem with my current contract. The logistics of the contract between the university (who officially hires me) and the professor that I'll be working for (who has the money to pay me) are such that it could get interesting. Here's to hoping for the best, though!

Thanks again, though, I really appreciate your knowledge of the system!

You're welcome.