Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self builds and DIY Extensions

Default Self builds and DIY Extensions

Hi Folks

Heres a question of those in the know....

What are the laws and restrictions regarding building your own home and or building and extension onto an existing property.

i.e. Could I a talented DIY layman build my own property or add an extension to an existing home in NZ?

Or would it all need to be done by certified tradesmen?

Cheers
    Tony

Tony

I think things like electrics have to be done by certified tradesmen.

I have been trying to get an estimate of cost per sq metre build but don't seem to be able to find it anywhere so if you come across it let us know.

try these links.

http://www.consumerbuild.org.nz/publish/
    http://www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/foru...TOPIC_ID=11239

Hope this helps

Jo

Our fencing man was bemoaning the new "rules" etc re building your own home / making alterations etc - apparently you used to be able to make your own plans and do it yourself or get in a third party based on your plans - these days, he was saying, you need permission for this, that and the other -and lots more planning permission hoops to jump through. Sound familiar?

And yes, gas and elecs should be done by registered tradesmen.

Jo,
    with regard to your question about building costs per m2. I looked into this myself when I was looking to settle in the Waikato. The building firm is in Masterton and is not too far away from where you plan to be, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the co. ( I'm sure I've got it bookmarked on my m/c at home ) Anyhow, as a very rough guide he was quoting around $1000 per m2, but, and its a big one, the prices start to go up depending on ceiling heights, varandah's and so on. I think the top price per m2 was near to $1700/$1900. From what I've seen of his work he's a master builder and turns out some really nice work. I'll try and find the URL for you and anyone else, if I put my hands on it I'll post it here.

John

Ta John

I've found it, I've found it.

http://moss-brothers.co.nz/

Regional Average:

Moss Brothers have assessed that the average regional cost per mē to build a new residential dwelling is approximately $1,150 including GST. This figure was arrived at from articles in building industry bulletins - March 2004.

John

New Prohibitive Rules - Sounds familiar....

I wonder if there is as much 'red tape' governing the manufacture of red tape?
    It would seem only fair, since bloody red tape seems to govern every aspect of everything else.

Excuse the rant, I feel so much better now )

T

We are just in the process of applying for Building consent for some renovations.

We had to employ an architect do the plans ($3700), plus engineer caculations (still awaiting bill), we have then had to apply for building consent ($840). This is for adding 28sqm to our house plus a deck extension and an alteration to an internal staircase.

We are still awaiting quotes from builders (can't pin them down!) but estimate it to cost $30-40k, plus a new kitchen.

As I understand it you need a qualified electrician to do the electrics and from 2007 all builders need to be registered.
    Amanda

Oh, Amanda, buliding consent. the biggest money maker yet.
    When you read the details ,you now need constent for EVERYTHING, unless you are making changes to your kitchen cupboards.
    We are going to take out an internal window and put steps down to a garage ,which we want to line and use as an extra room. After a great debate where i asked kiwi friends about consent , we aren't actually going to bother with consent. But i might feel differantly if i was going to add on. The only person who said i should ,is my dad , and he's a follow the rules Englishman.

Dept of Building give a yearly estimate on m2 costs for building.
    http://www.building.dbh.govt.nz/e/pu...ng_costs.shtml

Also alot of kitset houses work out at $500m2 to lock up stage.
    www.carters.co.nz are a building supples place and they do ready made timber frames and roof trusses.
    www.gerardroofs.co.nz give an excellent guide on cost of roof.

I reckon that it is ok to build your own if you need plumbing to sewer mains you have to get Nz certified plumber...all the new building law rules can be found on www.consumerbuild.org.nz

you can also buy seconhand windows and doors on www.trademe.co.nz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast