Thread: Importing a classic car

Default Importing a classic car

Hi

I'm emigrating to NZ in about 18 months, and whilst I've sorted everything out re passports and visas for the kids & I (wife is a Kiwi so pretty straight forward overall), I'm wondering if anyone on here has imported a classic car into NZ? (Nothing flash, just a 1977 Dolomite).

I've checked online with the NZ transport agency, and also with the AA importers in the South Island, and have been advised that I can being my car over, but it will be subject to a 'rust inspection'. Has anyone been through this before, and if so, how stringent are they? Also, if the engine has been modified since it was built in 1977, do I have to declare this?

I have some work to do on the car anyway if we're going to being it over, but if they looking for traces of rust hen I might leave the work till nearer the time so it's got a better chance of getting through the checks with as little cost to me as possible (above the importing).

Thanks

JW

It's VERY strict. Here are some comments - I know the guy is running a business and wouldn't be sorry if more came his way through this article, but he's making a lot of sense on this issue. http://www.mgparts.co.nz/advice/tech...o-new-zealand/

This is the NZ Govt requirements for importing a car. As JandM says, its strict.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/importing/index.html

Thanks for the responses. As the car is so old its exempted from most of the requirements such as impact and emissions so the only issue is how strictly they enforce the rust point.

You might want to spend some time on oldschool.co.nz and fire some questions on there. Everyone there is really helpful.
    I know people who have moved cars both ways, and I can see why people say its strict but its not as bad as some places.
    When we make the move we've got three Beetles and a camper van to move across!