Thread: The next step - medical and proving work experience

Default The next step - medical and proving work experience

After a small query about my wifes work history we received the ITA last week!

Our medical are booked for sometime next week. Is there anything we need to be aware of or prepare ourself for? We're in our low-mid thirties, I do a lot of miles on a bike and she runs regularly. I am worried I am being a bit too relaxed about it as we are both what I would consider to be young and fit.

My wife has also been asked to prove her work history and experience. Can anyone recommend the best way to do this? What sort of ideal documents are they ideally looking for? It seems extremely hard to show the job roles that apply to a previous job title.

As always, many thanks for your help

Another step closer!

Congratulations!

Medicals. Moderation in all things between now and then. Don't stringently diet, but don't have a blowout of food just before. Lay off alcohol. Don't do intensive or very lengthy exercise for three or four days before. (All these things can cause readings in the tests that are outside the norms.)

Work history and experience. The simplest way to do this is to have letters from, ideally, the previous employers, but if those aren't still around or won't play ball, then from somebody who was a colleague in a position to know what she did. Many people make it easy by drafting their own letter to say what is needed, and asking the other party (old boss or colleague) to print it off, sign it, and send it back. The letter needs to state start and finish dates, description of the responsibilities involved (because job titles are so variable as to be mistrusted), statement of the qualifications necessary to hold the position, and normal hours worked (because INZ will be looking to see that this was full time in order to credit the years of work experience). The person who supplies this letter needs to be contactable by INZ to confirm the information.

Things can be more complicated if she can't contact anybody from a certain company. Then you're into circumstantial things, like pay slips, tax records, maybe the original advertisement for the position... not ideal, and much more likely to cause holdups than doing things by means of letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
    After a small query about my wifes work history we received the ITA last week!

Our medical are booked for sometime next week. Is there anything we need to be aware of or prepare ourself for? We're in our low-mid thirties, I do a lot of miles on a bike and she runs regularly. I am worried I am being a bit too relaxed about it as we are both what I would consider to be young and fit.

My wife has also been asked to prove her work history and experience. Can anyone recommend the best way to do this? What sort of ideal documents are they ideally looking for? It seems extremely hard to show the job roles that apply to a previous job title.

As always, many thanks for your help

Another step closer!
    Congrats we were selected same day, still waiting for ITA. Did your profile status change with the process for example from "submitted", to "verification in process"??

I have booked my medicals for next week just to get ahead of the process but am definitely worried about my EOI status.

Congrats Guys!! just want to share even my application got selected on the same day (25/07/2012) but still waiting for ITA.....seems like we all are on boat.

Quote Originally Posted by newKiwi2012 View Post
    Congrats we were selected same day, still waiting for ITA. Did your profile status change with the process for example from "submitted", to "verification in process"??

I have booked my medicals for next week just to get ahead of the process but am definitely worried about my EOI status.
    Hi all, Tash here stealing Keith's account details

Our status has changed to Decision Successful and I received the ITA by email within minutes. But then as Keith alluded to, I had been talking to officer anyway regarding a small hiccough in my work experience.

Which leads me nicely to my question really, because I'm having cold sweats about this now.

I have been in the slightly unusual position of not having applied for any of the roles that I am now claiming points for.

In all cases I have been taken on in one role and then moved into a Project Manager role while there.

All the companies involved will only give a factual reference which leaves me in a bit of a pickle.

I have asked an ex colleague who still works for the company to write me a letter confirming my experience, but what other weird and wonderful documents can be used? I was thinking old appraisals maybe?

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

I'm on a roll with the other documents though: uni transcripts in the post, medicals booked, I need a new passport too because mine has less than a year to run, and the police forms are filled in and waiting to be sent off once we take some photos.

Then I just have to wade through a filing cabinet to find the proof of relationship, tax forms, wage slips and all the other rubbish I need to send off ...

Thanks for all your support so far

Tash

In all cases I have been taken on in one role and then moved into a Project Manager role while there.

All the companies involved will only give a factual reference which leaves me in a bit of a pickle.

I have asked an ex colleague who still works for the company to write me a letter confirming my experience, but what other weird and wonderful documents can be used? I was thinking old appraisals maybe?
    Hi, Tash.

If the companies give 'a factual reference', doesn't that mean that they will have to say that you moved into the Project Manager role? Anyway, if the colleague will support this, and you have the old appraisals to bear it out, that sounds as if it should cover it.

(Cold sweats are normal - hang in there, and good luck.)

For my verification I got letters from some employers with as much detail as possible. Some would only include title and dates and not job descriptions. One no longer exists, but I kept my paperwork from them (pay stubs were online and my separation record when I left), and also had a colleague write a letter for me. All of which was accepted without question.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Hi, Tash.

If the companies give 'a factual reference', doesn't that mean that they will have to say that you moved into the Project Manager role? Anyway, if the colleague will support this, and you have the old appraisals to bear it out, that sounds as if it should cover it.

(Cold sweats are normal - hang in there, and good luck.)
    Hi

By "factual reference" I mean they will give dates I worked there and no, after calling them back today will include that I was full time.

I asked them to include my job title but they have changed the titles since I was there (the letter they sent me said I was a Service Delivery Associate 1 ... never in 7 years was I EVER called that!) and apparently they can only use the role on the system.

Anyway, they are now sending me a new letter without a job role but with the "worked full time" part and I will use the colleague's letter to fill in the gaps.

I'm glad cold sweats are normal - if only I'd known I would have to prove every aspect of my life in 10 years I would've kept more records lol

Thanks again for your support
    Tash