Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile phone options

Default Mobile phone options

Hi all,

I'm going through all the things we need to sort out pre-moving and mobile phones seem like one of the things to get done promptly upon arrival.

Currently we both have unlocked iphones - mine is 4 OH's is 3GS. So we will be bringing these and getting new sims.

I've been having a look at the websites of phone companies in NZ and have some questions:

Firstly, which are the main companies - so far I've found vodaphone, telecom NZ, 2degrees (although their website isn't working atm), and telstra clear. Am I missing anyone?

Secondly, I currently have a sim-only contract in the UK with 3 where I pay £10 per month and get 1GB data, 200 minutes and 2000 texts. I've not come across anything even vaguely similar in structure to this, let alone comparable on price. So, does anyone do something comparable in structure, i.e. a monthly contract for sim only including calls, texts and data? We are used to using a lot of mobile data and while I know we will need to curb this habit I'd like not to bankrupt myself in the meantime!

Thirdly, forward planning - when we rent somewhere I assume we'll need to get a phone line/cable connection installed. Telstra seem to do a package which includes home phone, internet, mobile, TV and various other things for Wellington. I can't find the prices for this. Does it tend to work out cheaper to get a bundle that includes home services and mobile? If so we should decide who we want to be with before we get NZ sim cards - so does anyone have views on which of these would be cheapest? At home again we tend to us the internet a lot and will be using skype to keen in touch with family in the UK, so who has the most generous data allowances?

I am doing my own research but I always find other people's experiences really useful to take account of when deciding so please share good and bad experiences.

Thanks
    Laura

Only some random thoughts on that- as far as I know you can't use Telecom (NZ) sim cards in any other than Telecom phones, not sure if that applies for the iphone.

2degrees does pre-paid deals where you get data, minutes and texts for a fixed price, but i don't think you will be able to find anything in the same price range as in the UK. I have a $19 pre-paid plan which includes 30 minutes, heaps of texts (I think they upgraded to 5000 or something similar crazy) and 50MB data. I don't use much of the data anyway, it is more like 'just in case'.

I am sure there will be plenty of more helpful answers...

I await these answers as well.

Firstly, which are the main companies - so far I've found vodaphone, telecom NZ, 2degrees (although their website isn't working atm), and telstra clear. Am I missing anyone?
    I think that covers all the major ones, Check out Skinny, they seems to be similar to 2 Degrees.

Secondly, I currently have a sim-only contract in the UK with 3 where I pay £10 per month and get 1GB data, 200 minutes and 2000 texts. I've not come across anything even vaguely similar in structure to this, let alone comparable on price. So, does anyone do something comparable in structure, i.e. a monthly contract for sim only including calls, texts and data? We are used to using a lot of mobile data and while I know we will need to curb this habit I'd like not to bankrupt myself in the meantime!
    OH was on £20 plan in UK and the closest she could relate to was one of Vodafone's $60 plan.

Thirdly, forward planning - when we rent somewhere I assume we'll need to get a phone line/cable connection installed. Telstra seem to do a package which includes home phone, internet, mobile, TV and various other things for Wellington. I can't find the prices for this. Does it tend to work out cheaper to get a bundle that includes home services and mobile? If so we should decide who we want to be with before we get NZ sim cards - so does anyone have views on which of these would be cheapest? At home again we tend to us the internet a lot and will be using skype to keen in touch with family in the UK, so who has the most generous data allowances?
    First year we were with Vodafone (got their Broadband and OH had mobile with them) which gave us some discounts $30 per month. However, last year we switched to Telecom (due to massive 60GB Broadband data allowance which they upgraded to 120GB free of cost now and Fixed Line).

you can't use Telecom (NZ) sim cards in any other than Telecom phones
    Hi Renate, I use Blackberry brought from overseas which works totally fine with Telecom, Vodafone & 2 Degrees network (I have my mobile on Telecom, OH's on Vodafone and daughter on 2 Degrees )

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    I think that covers all the major ones, Check out Skinny, they seems to be similar to 2 Degrees.

OH was on £20 plan in UK and the closest she could relate to was one of Vodafone's $60 plan.

First year we were with Vodafone (got their Broadband and OH had mobile with them) which gave us some discounts $30 per month. However, last year we switched to Telecom (due to massive 60GB Broadband data allowance which they upgraded to 120GB free of cost now and Fixed Line).

Hi Renate, I use Blackberry brought from overseas which works totally fine with Telecom, Vodafone & 2 Degrees network (I have my mobile on Telecom, OH's on Vodafone and daughter on 2 Degrees )
    Always something new to learn, I am pretty sure the Telecom sim doesn't work with the cheaper phones, (we tried that), but apparently doesn't apply for all models.

Quote Originally Posted by Sun777 View Post
    I think that covers all the major ones, Check out Skinny, they seems to be similar to 2 Degrees. )
    Thanks! But Skinny's website is already FAIL. Can't find a page with straightforward list of plans and prices. I'm leaning towards 2degrees for when I'm based in Auckland. For my ISP at home I'll go with the fastest and highest bandwidth I can afford; not fussed about landlines.

Having just moved here maybe im able to help.

I opted for 2Degrees, the use vodafone network and when you are out of 2D you end up with vodafone. I initially opted for a PAYG offer and was on the $19 combo plan. 60mins of calling 5k texts and 50mb of net. Then amount of net actually sucked and used that within 25 minutes lol!

I dont know if the offer is still on but ive just joined pay monthly with them, im paying $39 per month and for that get 220 minutes, 3500 texts and 1gb of internet. Which is probably a really good deal and was lucky to get the bonus minutes and internet as the real plan only had 120 mins and 100mb of internet.

Maybe something to look out for if it comes up again. I was quite shocked that the plans were so slow compared to what i had in the uk, but then realised, hell i only know 1 person here and im living with him, i dont need 600 minutes worth of calls.

As for the phones, I think as long as you dont try and put a GSM sim card in a CDMA phone (and vice versa) they should work fine, brought mine over from the uk with no hassle

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    Always something new to learn, I am pretty sure the Telecom sim doesn't work with the cheaper phones, (we tried that), but apparently doesn't apply for all models.
    Ah! That could be a reason, I didn't think of that

I agree with you jawnbc, the huge menu bar is a big turn-off!

CDMA phones -if you talk about the old Telecom network- didn't have sim cards at all.

Wife just switched to skinny (today) cause on pre-pay that worked out to be the most cost effective

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast