Thread: Teaching Job in New Zealand Universities

Default Teaching Job in New Zealand Universities

Hi,

First of all I am very pleased to find such useful and informative site and hope it will work in my case too.
    Well my Husband is planning for PhD and according to the New Zealand policy, accompanying spouse will get working visa too.
    I did FCPS in basic science that is equivalent to PhD, my total teaching experience is 10 yrs including 4 yrs after my PG and 2 yrs overseas. Right now I am working at Assistant Professor level in University of Saudi Arab, teaching first year and second year Medical, Dental, Nursing, Physio-therapy, Respiratory therapy etc students.
    My quarries are:
    1. Is that wise to have job in hands before landing??
    2. Where should I search for my job??
    3. Could I’b able to get job of similar or at least Lecturer capacity in any University of New Zealand.
    My salary and fringe benefits are very attractive here; I have doubt that I might wouldn’t get decent job in New Zealand.

Can anybody help,
    Regards

Hello and welcome. I'm sure you'll get some comments when those in NZ wake up later on.

Hi there!

I found a job before arriving. Unis hire a lot of overseas candidates in NZ. I used the websites of individual schools, then their Employment pages.

I'm not familiar with FCPS credential--have you checked to see if it's considered equal to a PhD for Immigration New Zealand? It will depend on the degree awarded as well as the institution and program. This is probably the most important question, since getting a lectureship in NZ without a doctorate is very very very difficult.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Uni AP View Post
    Hi,

First of all I am very pleased to find such useful and informative site and hope it will work in my case too.
    Well my Husband is planning for PhD and according to the New Zealand policy, accompanying spouse will get working visa too.
    I did FCPS in basic science that is equivalent to PhD, my total teaching experience is 10 yrs including 4 yrs after my PG and 2 yrs overseas. Right now I am working at Assistant Professor level in University of Saudi Arab, teaching first year and second year Medical, Dental, Nursing, Physio-therapy, Respiratory therapy etc students.
    My quarries are:
    1. Is that wise to have job in hands before landing??
    2. Where should I search for my job??
    3. Could I’b able to get job of similar or at least Lecturer capacity in any University of New Zealand.
    My salary and fringe benefits are very attractive here; I have doubt that I might wouldn’t get decent job in New Zealand.

Can anybody help,
    Regards

Hello there,
    I am very pleased to see this thread, as able to find something related to me after long search
    I am also in Saudi Arabia, working as Assistant Professor in a university.
    My Ph.D. is recognized by NZ immigration authorities. I am looking for a job offer before arriving to NZ.
    University teaching Job at any level in the field of telecommunications, ICT, Computer Sciences and/or IT.

Please, anyone can guide me from where to start the job search (as I am not getting any relevant job from job finding websites) also what salary package should i will be looking for.
    Secondly, my husband is a professional software engineer. We are looking forward to move to Auckland. Is this is the right place to target for moving in view of the job market for both of us?

Thank you and looking forward for some response.

Regards

Hello

Most university jobs are listed at http://www.unijobs.co.nz/ . You can search by subject, region, job category.

Different universities have different structures/roles, but for academic teaching roles they include:

1. Tutor/Senior Tutor: with a research masters but no doctorate. Emphasis on teaching and service rather than research
    2. Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor/Professor: comprehensive academic roles focused on research, followed by teaching and service

For 2 above one needs to have a track record with publications (usually in English), as well as grantsmanship. It's a very competitive process. For 1 above publications and grant writing aren't usually as important. But competition for both categories can be very high.

Good luck!

Hello,
    Most academic staff who are looking from overseas are recruited directly before arriving in NZ. It is one of the few fields where you can get a job offer and be flown in for interview before having a visa. (And get relocation expenses)
    Salary scale information is probably on the university website. And are always to be negotiated once you have a job offer.
    Look at the university vacancy sites and places like jobs.ac.uk for NZ uni jobs. And have you contacted the departments you would like to work at?
    Good luck!