Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job market

Default Job market

Hi, ive just started the process of moving to new zealand still in the early stages. We will be moving over with me as the main applicant for the visa as i'm a nurse so I know I should find work ok but I am a bit worried about my husband finding work. He has worked in retail for the last 7 years and doesn't really have experience in anything else so I was wondering how other people who have already made the move have found it finding work whilst they are over there. He is willing to take any job when we get there and we are planning on living in the Auckland area. Any feedback would be really helpful.
    Thanks

Hello and welcome.

Hello and welcome. What part of NZ are you planning to move to? or are you not sure yet?

We are hoping to go to either Auckland or Wellington would prefer to live nearer a city to make things a bit easier

Does he already have a work visa or residency?
    I've noticed a lot of retail jobs on Trademe and Seek, from cashier and sales to regional manager and distribution. I would think, from what I've seen, he would have quite a few jobs to apply for if he is already eligible to work in NZ.

I suppose, as the OP is applying for a visa with nursing as a skill, her husband will get an open work visa, or residence, on the back of that. It's not the visa that will be a problem - it's whether he will find something he can do. I agree, with Auckland being the area of highest population, there should be plenty within his range of experience.

Hi Becca84

I am presuming that you have looked into jobs for yourself from your post? If you don't mind me asking do you have a lot of experience? I tried to private mail you but couldn't see that function. My husband and I are also from Scotland about to start the process and I am also a nurse so it might be good if we relied information as and when we got it. Just a suggestion.

Cheers
    Karin

I'm in Wellington and I've certainly noticed signs in shop windows saying they are looking for staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Karin B View Post
    Hi Becca84

I am presuming that you have looked into jobs for yourself from your post? If you don't mind me asking do you have a lot of experience? I tried to private mail you but couldn't see that function. My husband and I are also from Scotland about to start the process and I am also a nurse so it might be good if we relied information as and when we got it. Just a suggestion.

Cheers
    Karin
    Becca84 won't be able to receive or send PMs until she has made at least five posts on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Karin B View Post
    Hi Becca84

Cheers
    Karin
    I have had a look on some of the district health board websites and have been in touch with tonix recruitment service, I am currently a theatre nurse with 2 years experience and have seen jobs for theatre nurses advertised for public and private hospitals and the agent from tonix said that with theatre experience I would find there are quite a few jobs I can apply for. Have just really started the process have my ielts exam in October and have all my registration form filled out just trying to source most of the paperwork that needs sent along with it (very time consuming!). Would be good to keep each other updated may make the whole process a bit easier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast