Thread: De Longhi type oil heaters - can I bring from the U.S?

Default De Longhi type oil heaters - can I bring from the U.S?

I've got a couple of U.S. De Longhi electric oil-filled heaters. Will they work in NZ with a transformer?
    thanks in advance....

Probably, but I would imagine that the cost of the transformer might not make it worthwhile.

I assume these heaters are portable? Most stores such as Bunnings, Mitre 10 (plus others) sell similar models that won't require transformers and saving you the effort.

I have yet to price transformers but thought they were about $20? Just trying to save a buck by bringing the three I've already got so that I don't have to buy more in NZ. Thanks for the info!

What is the amps on those heaters you got Dell?

Our step down transformers were more than that. It is recommended that the transformer is twice the wattage of the draw; if a heater pulls 1800 watts, you'll want a 4000 watt transformer. I think they recommend that for items that spike when turned on, like vacuums and hair dryers. We bought ours here: www.world-import.com
    Oil heaters are widely available here at Warehouse, Bunnings, etc. and op-shops and auctions. We haven't used our two for a while because several people have warned us they suck a lot of electricity and we are fortunate with an efficient woodburner. I'm not sure what the most efficient electric heater is.

Ahhh - thanks for the info. One of the three heaters is 1500W. Not sure of the other two but probably similar.
    I know that almost identical heaters are available in NZ - just not wanting to buy more if I don't have to.

You'll find that as the bigger the transformer and the bigger the current draw, the more noise the transformer will make (mechanical buzz that may be of an annoyance if you're trying to sleep in a room where the heater & transformer are used). Since we're dealing in the area of heating, any loss in efficiency from using a transformer would be of little concern as the end result you're trying to get is heat (if the transformer gets warm, that's ok). IMO, you're probably better off to spend $100 on a new oil fin electric heater locally in NZ than to bother with transformers.

Naaaaa I'd sell them there..

Bob

Thanks. Will buy new ones in NZ.