Thread: help with visitor / partner visa

Default help with visitor / partner visa

Hi everyone,

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me with a few questions I have regarding visitor visas / partner visas. I shall explain my situation and then my questions.

I am a NZ permanent resident, aprox 1 year until I can apply for citizenship. I recently met a Japanese lady and we would like to look at being together in NZ. We are both over working holiday visa age, and although she is in a professional job, English language requirements to register in NZ are likely to prohibit applying for work visa under her profession.

She has funds to visit nz and support herself for her stay, and the plan is therefore for her to come over on visitor visa. I believe Japan being visa waiver country she can stay for 6 months within a year (in 2 blocks of 3 months leaving country for period after 3 months)

My questions are:

1) is the 6 months a set in stone limit? (I see people from countries who have to apply for visitor visa can stay for 9 months in 18)

2) is time counted out of nz during visitor visa included in the 3 months? (planning 1 week in oz during first 3 month stay and 3 weeks in Thailand during 2nd) will we be ok leaving and re- entering on visitor visa? Does 3 months restart on each entry until time limit reached?

3) longer term if things go well, how could we look at me sponsoring her to come longer as a partner? We will be living together the 6 months she is here? Would this be long enough? How do we show things like joint finances etc if she is just here as visitor?

Sorry for amount of questions, and hopefully it makes sense. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome.

I don't know about the answers to your questions 1 and 2, and I haven't seen those situations mentioned on the threads at all. You'd need to ask INZ to be certain.

However, question 3 has some possibilities. You can sponsor her for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa after living together for only a few weeks - this kind of visa can then be renewed until such time as you have 12 months of proof, and she can apply for Residence under the family stream. The details about the requirements and procedure are here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm

You can quickly build up evidence of the partnership by for instance, each taking responsibility for some of your joint household purchases, so that some of the weekly shop, or the new microwave, shows up on her bank statements. She can get some mail to come to your address, and if this involves NZ institutions, all the better - for instance, if she gets a NZ cellphone contract. Or joins some local club for an interest, or the gym, and they have your home as her address too. Get some written invitations which name both of you together. (And there are old threads on here - Search for evidence and partnership and they'll come up.)

It's also possible to collect partnership evidence while you are outside NZ, so if you lived together before, you may already have some time which could count, or if you were to go to her before she moves, you could apply for this visa then/there, which could short-circuit any possible hiccups with a visitor's visa which, actually, you don't intend to be simply for a visit.