Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this a job offer?

Default Is this a job offer?

Hi,

Bit of random advice that I'm not getting over excited for no reason please!

I had an email from the Dept of Internal Affairs manager who interviewed and tested me for a role - if you saw my previous rant about recruitment processes, thie was the one where everything was moving with the speed I expected. Anyway, she wrote this:

"I would really like to be able to complete some referee checks and then get back to you with a possible offer"

Does this mean that as long as my references come back ok she will be offering me a job and we just need to talk salary, or will she be doing this with a number of candidates?

I'm trying very hard not to get excited prematurely.

Thanks.

I'd not be too overwhelmed; put the emphasis on 'would really like', sorry.
    Last edited by ralf-nz; 16th August 2012 at 09:33 PM.

Thats true, I hadn't read it that way.

I'm mainly encouraged by the whole process that I am good enough to get into interview processes etc.

She wanted me to give permission to contact them and wanted to email them tomorrow morning (i.e. Friday morning NZ time). So I read it as she is going ask them for references, I wasn't clear whether asking for references automatically meant that, assuming the references are ok, an offer of some sort follows or whether she may be asking for references from a number of people for the role. But it may be that she is collecting permissions to ask for references before deciding who to take them up on - hadn't considered that!

I'd say it is a step in the right direction so fingers and toes crossed it continues that way. Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Lauralocks View Post
    Hi,

Bit of random advice that I'm not getting over excited for no reason please!

I had an email from the Dept of Internal Affairs manager who interviewed and tested me for a role - if you saw my previous rant about recruitment processes, thie was the one where everything was moving with the speed I expected. Anyway, she wrote this:

"I would really like to be able to complete some referee checks and then get back to you with a possible offer"

Does this mean that as long as my references come back ok she will be offering me a job and we just need to talk salary, or will she be doing this with a number of candidates?

I'm trying very hard not to get excited prematurely.

Thanks.
    Wish you Good Luck!!

I would say that this means if your references check out that you will be receiving an offer. As per my previous post, the referees for our hospital jobs are contacted prior to the offer being made, but we only contact the referees for the first choice candidates (we do it by phone - led to a nice chat with someone I used to work with in the UK as the referee for one candidate recently). Good luck.

By the way, assuming you do get a job offer, it is acceptable to negotiate terms from those stated in the offer. Check the MECA (multi-employer collective agreement I think) if there is one for the job and try to determine where on the pay scale you should be, this may be negotiable. Some state jobs have little in the way of negotiation possible though. Depending on seniority of the position there may be things like moving expenses that are automatically included and can be negotiated up a bit (payscale for me was fixed, but fortunately about what I wanted - I did manage to negotiate the moving expenses cap up a bit).

Thanks. I was asked what my salary expectations were when I applied and told the salary scale. I picked a number a little above the bottom of the scale but only a little. Even the lowest point is the equivalent of approximately $9000 more than I'm earning in the UK - the difference between similar job titles in voluntary and state sector! So to be honest I'll take whatever they offer (but may still negotiate a little because its fun to do that!) Moving expenses would be awesome though.

"possible offer"-------- says it all

For my job I got a similar email. Then I got a "we're putting together an offer" email. Then a "sorry it's taking so long" email. Finally an offer email from HR. Then the counter-offer after I negotiated a bit.

So quasi-coongratulations!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast